thor for bass guitar

Started by lowstar, November 12, 2007, 07:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowstar

hi everybody,

any bass players out there that are using the thor ? which changes, if any, did you incorporate ?
(i´m aware of this thread: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=52621.0 that mentions some of the possibilities for changes to bring it closer to the super bass schematic,  as well as changes in the bypass coupling caps)

cheers,
lowstar
effects built counter: stopped counting at 100

MarcoMike

hi, here I am, bass player and owner of Thor!
mine is "stock" :icon_lol: and I use it with guitar...but I'm gonna give it a try as soon as I get home.

I wonder why I have never tried it... even few days ago when I was looking for a good bass distortion... (and  found it, but I will share this secret only if the thor will result not suitable :P)
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

tommy.genes

I breadboarded both the stock Thor and one that used the substitutions mentioned in the other thread. I liked the distortion sound of the stock circuit much better, especially at medium gain settings, but it lost a lot of low end. The modded circuit definitely kept the low end, but I didn't like the distortion nearly as much. Now, I'm sure some bass players would love the sound I got from the modded Thor, but I'm learning that I am somewhat unique in that I like a bright bass distortion with a full but not muddy low end. It's almost (but not quite) like I want the distortion pedal to give me a pick tone while still playing my usual finger style.

I was planning to experiment to find a balance between the stock and modded circuits, or to perhaps to add a Hog's Foot or other cleanish-bass-boost circuit in parallel with the stock Thor, but alas I have not been able to get back to it in several months.

Please do share the results of anything you try.

-- T. G. --
"A man works hard all week to keep his pants off all weekend." - Captain Eugene Harold "Armor Abs" Krabs

MarcoMike

I totally agree on the "almost picking tone"!! the bass sound must retain its "roundness"

and about the thor.... I didn't like it on bass, the same way how I dont like the BSIB2 on bass....

The distorted tones I like to hear from a bass are of two kinds: -like starlight or hysteria (rounded) or like the beginning of Around the world, RHCP (uniform). I found tones I like with a  ::) You know whose... Wolly Mammoth for rounded sounds and a MXR D+ pushing a WM for uniform ones.

thor is some kind of too compressed but with no sustain...  :-\

just my POV, I still love the THOR on my guitar, thank you ROG guys!  :P
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

snoof

you could always try building the buff and blend into the crkt to get a smidge of clean low end.

mnordbye

Quote from: MarcoMike on November 12, 2007, 03:17:48 PM

The distorted tones I like to hear from a bass are of two kinds: -like starlight or hysteria (rounded) or like the beginning of Around the world, RHCP (uniform). I found tones I like with a  ::) You know whose... Wolly Mammoth for rounded sounds and a MXR D+ pushing a WM for uniform ones.

While i'm not mainly a bass player, i happen to drag out the old warwick bass now and then. And i must say, the coolest DIY build for my part is still the bazz fuss from ROG. With a booster in front (i used the AMZ mini booster) and the bridge pickup only, i remember i got the "Around the World" RHCP sounds pretty good. Try it!

Magnus N
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

lowstar

Quoteyou could always try building the buff and blend into the crkt to get a smidge of clean low end.
that´s what i actually did when i had finished the thor build (it was working alright)...as soon as the two circuits where joined with a little power filter circuit, i messed up something in the thor build...even after reverting the circuit to "just thor", i could never get it to work again...one of those rare instances where something like that happened to me, i spent some time trying to debug, but to no avail (and i´ve built many circuits that are WAY more complicated). it suddenly emitted a loud hum...i replaced all the fets, the ic, looked for shorts, audioprobed, ,measured voltages, replaced electros...nada. i guess i´d have to rebuild it from scratch, but i did not like it enough (without the blend) to do that. anyway, at the moment i can´t build or debug anything cause every year i have to break down my "lab" to make space for the friggin big xmas tree  ;D .

QuoteAnd i must say, the coolest DIY build for my part is still the bazz fuss from ROG. With a booster in front (i used the AMZ mini booster) and the bridge pickup only, i remember i got the "Around the World" RHCP sounds pretty good. Try it!
the bazz fuzz i built aeons ago, and i don´t like it the slightest bit.

cheers,
lowstar

rock_god_dan

I built a blend circuit too in my metal zone clone, just to experiment with the low gain/clean blended sounds. Usually when there's a loud hum, the buffer IC is probably not getting any power - and therefore not buffering. I'm guessing that the distorted signal loops back into the input signal to create that feedback/hum. Am I making any sense? I'm not sure haha! Goodluck man.

Dan

lowstar

umm, no.
that same buff/blend is already working perfectly in another circuit, and the thor exhibited the same signs when i rewired it to just thor w/nothing else.
let´s see what the new year brings !

cheers,
lowstar