Idea 2 guitar input with 1 output to amp

Started by spiderman2812, November 14, 2007, 05:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiderman2812

Has anyone ever attempted to build a box like this? Not just an a/b box but a box that has 2 inputs no switching and 1 output to an amp. I was curious if this is possible without doing some sort of switching so you don't get any hum. Any feedback would be great on this as it is something I would really like to build.  Thanks

CGDARK

I think what you need is a simple 2 inputs/1 output mixer. You can try the one in the link below, but using only two inputs and changing the input pots to 500KA or 1MA or eliminate them.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/mixer_sc.gif

Good luck,

CG ;D

spiderman2812

Cardboard Tube Samurai

You realise it's rather difficult to play 2 guitars at once right?

sjaltenb

slightly off topic...but if i want to build two inputs into my multieffects board...cant i just use a DPDT switch to switch bewteen two jack tips and then go from there??

CGDARK

Quote from: sjaltenb on November 14, 2007, 04:52:01 PM
slightly off topic...but if i want to build two inputs into my multieffects board...cant i just use a DPDT switch to switch bewteen two jack tips and then go from there??

Yes, but you have to ground the unused input to prevent hum.

CG ;D

petemoore

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Ben N

Then again, there is always the passive version--aka the input of one channel of any classic Fender amp. That only works if the following input is high impedance, as is the 12ax7 in the Fender. If you are feeding an Acoustic 360, you definitely need something with some buffering.
Ben
  • SUPPORTER

CGDARK

Quote from: petemoore on November 14, 2007, 06:18:05 PM
  So I think an Spdt would do that.

Yes, but I would prefer to ground the unused input just in case. Not entirely necessary but...  ;)

CG ;D

petemoore

Mixing two guitar pickup outputs has it's limitations.
  Ease of testing makes it 'worthwhile'.
  Improved signal integrity may be had with active mixing, however that has limitations also.
  Amplified Guitars have long been 'hogs' of entire signal chains.
  My brother would mix mic in Fender Twin.
  Passive mixing guitar pickups can be a really neat effect, as can '1/2passive' [mixing guitar with guitar/fuzzed], if playing 'allowances' are made by both players, it tends toward more of a 'time sharing' [frequency 'hogging' and general signal strength hogging is easily possible], but working together makes a different sound than active mixing, as signal integrity may fade greatly on one side or the other.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.