A Simple Idea

Started by StickMan, November 14, 2007, 09:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StickMan

I have a Peavey RockMaster preamp.  This is a rackmount, tube preamp with three channels: clean, crunch and ultradrive.  I picked mine up for nearly free, and it is quite a thing.

Anyways, one of the neatest things about it is the FX loops.  There are 5!  Common, clean, common distorted, crunch and ultradrive.  The common is live all the time, and the common distorted is live if you use the crunch or ultradrive channels.  It's very cool, and allows you to do things like pop an EQ pedal in that comes on when you use a specific channel and things like that.  Anyways, it got me thinking...

I also have a preamp for Chapman Stick that a friend built me.  It's stereo and has an OD circuit for the melody side.  I've found that it works perfectly for guitar, but the guy that built it didn't have a Stick at hand, and it really could use some tone controls on the OD circuit.  Sending it back for mods is possible, but a hassle so....

It has a footswitch to switch the OD circuit in and out, and this runs a relay inside the amp.  That only takes one pole.  What if I build a footswitch box with a 3PDT switch.  On set of poles would be used for the amp OD function and that would leave me two sets of poles to use to do true bypass on an FX loop.  Basically, this could be an A/B switch slaved to the amp's OD function.  So I could have two loops set up with GE-7's in the them, each set up to deal with the EQing needs of clean or OD.

Anyone see any problems with this?

~arph

I see no problems here, I had to read up on wikipedia to see what a Chapman Stick was.. I initially thought of Chapstick, which is a lip moisturizer and I wondered how you'd amplify that  :o, but luckily it turned out to be something else  ;D