ROG Tube Reamer rules!

Started by nooneknows, November 15, 2007, 08:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nooneknows

Hi,

in the past I've already built the original ROG Tube Reamer, good but I've never used it so much, it worked in way a bit strange with the gain control.

Yesterday I've built the 2nd version using the ROG perfboard layout as a guide and put it in the old box.

Wow.

It sounds very, very, very good, my strato in a Marshall JCM800 and in a Peavey Classic 30 (heavily modified, more like a Fenderish amp now) produces a tight and pleasant mid distorted tone, very dynamic.

My only complain is the Volume, waaaaaaaaay to high for me, but no problem, taming the volume pot down is enough.

A very nice pedal, ROG guys, you are great, thank you.

bye,
Marcello

wampcat1

Quote from: nooneknows on November 15, 2007, 08:00:18 AM
Hi,

in the past I've already built the original ROG Tube Reamer, good but I've never used it so much, it worked in way a bit strange with the gain control.

Yesterday I've built the 2nd version using the ROG perfboard layout as a guide and put it in the old box.

Wow.

It sounds very, very, very good, my strato in a Marshall JCM800 and in a Peavey Classic 30 (heavily modified, more like a Fenderish amp now) produces a tight and pleasant mid distorted tone, very dynamic.

My only complain is the Volume, waaaaaaaaay to high for me, but no problem, taming the volume pot down is enough.

A very nice pedal, ROG guys, you are great, thank you.

bye,
Marcello

Hi Marcello,
Very true - a great sounding circuit! :)
You might try running a voltage divider before the volume pot to make the volume pot a little more usable. IIRC, I used a 100k resistor in series with the signal and a 47k to ground, then that into a 100k audio pot. Worked very well as I remember.
Hope that helps! :)
bw

B Tremblay

I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying the circuit and that you found the revisions to the original to be an improvement.

You can reduce the output volume by replacing the feedback resistor with a smaller value in the gain recovery stage.  Try a 27k in place of the 51k for half as much gain.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

km-r

+ 1,000,000

i like mine too! used LEDS though... very nice use for tube amps!
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

MartyMart

I'm with you on that, V2 is a different beast and getting close to the real thing but it's a little gem !
MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

B Tremblay

B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

MartyMart

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com