My really simple but useful preamp.

Started by Zben3129, November 17, 2007, 10:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougH

I guess I can't edit my post. Just wanted to add that my comments were in response to the Tillman references.

Good job and thanks for the contribution.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

frankclarke

The Tillman circuit was one of the first guitar schematics that I remember from the early '80s, it was certainly my first build, so I personally think of Tilman when I see a FET booster. A bit like Orman and the miniboosters. The Tillman booster is a textbook circuit, so it doesn't require credit, or much of a mention, since it is in legions of FET preamps.

Zben3129

Just wanted to add that there should be a + on the 4.7 cap facing left

Also, you can use mpf102, 2n5485, j201....

Basically and n jfet

Zben3129

Hi guys,

Along with the great vero on the first page here are 2 layouts, perf and pcb

Perf

PCB

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: Zben3129 on December 09, 2007, 02:34:02 AM
Hi guys,

Along with the great vero on the first page here are 2 layouts, perf and pcb

Perf

PCB

C1 isnt connected to the circuit.  Is R5 supposed to be connected to ground?  It is on the pcb, but not on the perf.
Try a little tenderness.

Electric_Death

Quote from: stm on November 18, 2007, 02:06:39 PM
Your circuit looks too close to the schems posted in the links below, even up to the unusual 3M input resistor.  Don't forget to give proper credit to who deserves it.

http://www.till.com/articles/GuitarPreamp/index.html
http://www.till.com/articles/PreampCable/index.html

To be perfectly honest, I built 3 of those and found them kinda useless.
Sure they're fine for a modest output line driver but without dramatically upping the gain, I sure couldn't find a use for them and distortion?
Not based on that version.
Up the gain dramatically and then I feel they're useful for guitar applications. Someone compared that circuit to putting a 12AX7 inside your guitar, you'll have to excuse me while I have a laugh :P