Add mids to the Boss DS-1

Started by Nuts, November 19, 2007, 04:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuts

Hi,
I've got a moded Boss DS-1 with leds for clipping, and some resistors and capacitors changes...
I always use a GE-7 after it to add mids frequencies , so I tought that maybe there is a way to add mids directly from the DS-1.
Is the any way to do it ? How ?
Thanks,
Nuts.

MetalGod

play with the tonestack values - it's basically a Big Muff 'stack so put the values into Duncan Tonestack Calculator to get a flatter response (worked for me but I can't remember the values offhand)

8)

Nuts

nice tool

but It's confusing me to compare the big muff to the DS-1...

I think I saw DS-1 with additional potentiometer for mid control

GibsonGM

That would have had some parts similar to the BMP tone control hard-wired in there, and the pot would just boost/cut mids.  Look at the AMZ site, and play with Duncan's TSC.    It will sound NOTHING like a muff, don't worry!!  It's just a tone stack...
In Duncan's:
C1=4.7n   C2=10n  R1=33k R2=33k R3 is the 100k pot.  That will give you flat mids on one end, and a high end roll-off on the other. 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

vanhansen

I changed R16 to 4.7k and that gave mine more mids.  The stock value is 6.8k.
Erik

Melanhead

Quote from: vanhansen on November 20, 2007, 01:47:10 PM
I changed R16 to 4.7k and that gave mine more mids.  The stock value is 6.8k.

Me too! ... works well ...

ProToneThinline

Thanks guys!!  I was wanting to do the same to my DS-1.  I replaced the clipping diodes with LED's, and I really like the sound, but it still sounded a bit too "scooped" to me.  This should help.

ProToneThinline

Well, I swapped R16 for a 4.7k this morning.  It took longer for my soldering iron to heat up that it took to do the mod.  So far, I really like this mod.  Between the new resistor and the LED's, my DS-1 sounds very different.  To me, it sounds very much like the OCD clips on Fulltone's site.

I actually hated the stock DS-1.  Mine sat un-used in my pedal drawer for almost three years.  Now I think it's a keeper.  I'll put it through the smoke test at tonight's gig.  Thanks!!!!!!

Bucksears

Man!
I've said for a long time (before moving away from commercial distortions) that the LED mod for the DS-1 is the single most beneficial mod I've ever encountered for a pedal; i.e. replace just two diodes with LEDs and it makes a vast improvement. I haven't noticed much in gain loss, but it definitely increases the volume and gives a little more range in the tone control.
I've had about three (Taiwan) DS-1's in my life; hosed the first one, modded the heck out of the other two (doubtful if I could get them back to stock), and now it looks like I'm going to have to pick up another and just do the LED & R16 mod and leave it at that.
Might want to try swapping out R16 for a 10k 'mid' pot......

Nuts

Thanks ! I replaced R16 to 4.7, it worked very nice

How can I also boost the lower mids too ?

MetalGod

Quote from: Nuts on November 25, 2007, 07:11:06 AM
Thanks ! I replaced R16 to 4.7, it worked very nice

How can I also boost the lower mids too ?

raise R17 to 22k

8)

Bucksears

So, in reverse, would RAISING the 6.8k resistor scoop the mids?
Anybody ever lower the value of R13 for more gain?

DougH

More mids? Try subtracting highs and lows.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

MetalGod

Quote from: Bucksears on November 26, 2007, 12:24:46 PM

Here's what I found messing with TSC...

0.1uF/6k8 (C12/R16), raising 0.1uF scoops mids, dropping it flattens mids.  Decreasing 6k8 boosts bass/low mids, raising it drops out low end. 

22nF/6k8 (C11/R17), raising 22nF flattens mids, dropping it scoops mids fairly severely.  Decreasing 6k8 scoops mids, raising it flattens mids and boosts bass end.

I've tried lowering R13, halfing the stock value was best (imo), but there's no reason why you can't go further if you like the bass end a bit more squishy.

8)

suprleed

Has anyone tried the above?  Could you effectively turn your DS-1 into a scooped metal monster similar to a metalzone/metalcore or digitech deathmetal?  Just wondering if this could be a simple mod that would cover my occasional over-the-top-in-your-face-metal impulses I get from time to time.   ;)
"That's the way I play" ~EC

MetalGod

Quote from: suprleed on November 27, 2007, 04:39:50 PM

Has anyone tried the above?  Could you effectively turn your DS-1 into a scooped metal monster similar to a metalzone/metalcore or digitech deathmetal?  Just wondering if this could be a simple mod that would cover my occasional over-the-top-in-your-face-metal impulses I get from time to time.   ;)

replace R17 with a 10k pot and you should be able to scoop the mids fairly severely when turned all the way down.  Full up will give you flatter mids and more bass.