Portugese guitar;completely OT(sorry for that)

Started by EdJ, August 20, 2003, 05:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdJ

Hi all,i know,i know but the last few years this forum has helped with stranger questions hasn`t it :lol: Anyway:the last year i have tried to buy a portugese guitar(you know the double stringed one used in Fado)unfortunately without any succes.None of the guitarbuilders i asked could make one and(in my knowledge)there aren`t any for sale on the web.
Could anyone please help me any further in my search for one?
I don`t mind building one( i have the woods for it)so just a few good drawings are fine too.
Thanks very much in advance!
This is the greatest forum on earth!
Greetings,Ed

Brett Clark

There's a company called Lark in the Morning (silly name, cool company) that specializes in musical instruments from all over the world. Check them out at www.larkinam.com . If they don't have it in the online catalog, contact them and ask if they can get one.

EdJ

GFR

I've bought my portuguese guitar in Lisboa; they're really easy to find there :) - I bought mine in a supermarket (it's a cheap one, just for fun). I also bought a beginner's method.

I've read that the best portuguese guitars are made in England :!:

Since you're in the Netherlands, you may consider importing it from Portugal or even a "short" trip to Lisboa. Fado seems to be more popular in Lisboa and Coimbra, but not in other less "urban" cities in Portugal.

Remember to buy some extra strings, they have double endings like for a headless Steinberg and the tuning is really weird (the interval from one open string to the next is never the same).