News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

LF353N Wow

Started by Zben3129, November 24, 2007, 02:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zben3129

Recently I breadboarded a tube screamer and decided to test out a few opamps. I ordered all of the usual suspects, rc4558p, jrc4558d, jrc4559d, etc. Also, I ordered some random dual opamps that I found on mouser. I ordered these hoping to stumble upon a good one, no particular way choosing them, just arbitrary clickin :)

Wow did I find a good one

The LF353N, to me, sounded the best out of all the chips, rich and warm. Next in second was of course the jrc4558d, but I think the LF353N was better by alot

Bottom Line, I'd snag a couple and try them out. Maybe you won't like it, but I'm pretty sure you will

http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=LF353Nvirtualkey51210000virtualkey512-LF353N

I just placed an order for 25, I'm going to include them in all of my tube screamer kits from now on! Possibly have them as the already installed opamp

Baktown

This is good info to know. 

I just received a huge order of stuff from Futurlec, including a grab  bag of op amps, which included some 353's.  I had no idea they could be subbed for 4558's.

Rock on!

Axl

Hanglow

cool, mine currently has an NE5532 (i think) in it at the moment. I'm testing them by keeping them in for a couple of weeks at a time before I settle on one. It's certainly got a bit less noise than normal, but I'm not too sure I prefer it to the jrc4558.

might try that one if I have it

Zben3129

your grab bag contained opamps??? Lucky haha. Mine from futurlec was all volatge regulators and stuff like that except a tube of 741's and one quad. Also, did you get the transistor or diode bag by any chance? My transistor bag had no jfets, and my diode bag had no 914's :o ???

PerroGrande

The last futurlec grab bag I got had 5 different types of op amps!  I guess my karma must've been good that day or something.  I ended up with a lil' tube of 741's (not particularly good for fidelity, but always useful nonetheless), some 353's, two different flavors of Hitachi op amps (neither really intended for audio, but usable in certain situations), and some LM324's.  I scored a mini-tube of 555 timers, too, so I was really happy with the outcome.

Zben3129

i got a 556 (dual 555) and a set of 5 555's other than that, junk. If you are located in US, how long did your order take?

PerroGrande

I'm in Columbus, Ohio -- I've ordered from Futurlec a few times.  Most times, it takes about 2 weeks for the stuff to arrive.   My most recent order processed in about 24 hours and I got the e-mail that it had been shipped about 24 hours after that.  I've always had acceptable service from them, and the prices are certainly worth a minor increase in wait time (as opposed to Mouser, for example).  I especially like their assortments, grab bags, and potentiometers. 

Zben3129

I hear that :)   Have you ever gotten the transistor grab bag by any chance? Cause I am looking for N JFET's but my bag came with none. Before ordering again, I was wondering if you have ever gotten JFET's.  Also, the socket grab bag is great along with the blue led 5mm ub. 50 cent pots.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cardboard Tube Samurai

You realise this chip is the same as a TL072 right?

Zben3129

No it is not. Having the same specs is not being the same thing. I have not compared the datasheets of the two, but I can tell you just by my ear, they are not the same.

PerroGrande

Your ear is correct.  Looking at the schematics of the TL072 and the LF353 reveal that they are similar, but they are not the same.

The specs are different, too.  The TL072 has a lower THD rating, but is more noisy than the LF353.  The 353 offers better CMRR than the TL072. 

-------

The transistor grab-bag I got didn't have any fets.  I don't know if that is typical or not. 

Zben3129

Good to know, good to know.

Also, reguarding the grab bags, after searching through their site, I found that besides J201's, they carry no other FETs, probably a cause to why there are none in there grab bags

beatstrat

I have a handful of KF353s that I've yet to use in anything (I think my dad gave them to me from some of his old stock; I know I didn't order/purchase them).  Unless I'm missing something (likely), I'm not seeing the diff between the 'LF' and 'KF' units from the datasheets - anyone know?

Zben3129

Hmmmmm possibly gonna sound good, never know between manufacturers what can happen. My best advice to you is to breadboard http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=63062.0  or something of the likes and try it out. If you use the one I posted then for easy and test purposes you can just leave off the input buffer, removing a few components

Baktown

I've had mixed results from Futurlec with grab bags. 

The IC grab bag had a pretty good assortment of stuff, 4558's, 741's, 353's, 555's, and various quad amps.  Different story with resistors, however.  Almost all the 1/4 watt carbons were low values, none over 10K.  The diodes were OK, but a bunch of SI stuff I've never seen.  I've never bought one of the transistor grab bags, so I can't comment on that.

Beware of the cheap pots, about 1 out of 4 is defective.  I always check them with my DMM before using them, I learned the hard way!

Rock on!

Axl

Zben3129

Thanks for the info,

Similar results...Resistor grab bag yeilded nothing over 22k except 20 (20!!!!) 3m resistors. Some guy was in a really bad mood that day and took out his anger on my grab bag  :o

I've heard good things about the IC bags so I might make a second attempt at that. I got all 3 cap bags, those were all good. I'm still not sure about the transistor bag though. In terms of guitar effects, it only contained a few things of any use to me, most of which were duplicates, just a different manufacturer. I was really hoping for maybe 10-20 jfets and some mosfets and got bupkis

And finally, I haven't had any problems with the pots yet, but I will start checking them now

PerroGrande

I seem to recall that my last resistor grab bag had a disproportionate number of low values.  But heck, it is a grab bag after all.

Ironic, though... the last build I did needed a 180 ohm resistor.  Of course, in spite of numerous low-valued resistors, I didn't have a 180R.  Fortunately, I ended up needing to tweak the bias of the circuit, so a larger resistor ended up working out.  Oh well.  C'est la Vie!

I've ordered and used dozens (literally) of those futurlec pots with zero failures thus far. However, it is *never* a bad idea to verify prior to installation.  (I've probably jinxed myself with that... knock on wood)

drewl

I always use an IC socket for building pedals just so I can try different chips.
For example we have a ton of 5532's and 5534's at work so I tried some in my MXR Distortion + but I still like the raw quality of the original 741.
I'll have to try some of the LF353N's......always looking for new opamps!

Zben3129

Yeah. I was surprised to find myself without any 914's after getting a bag of 100 diodes. Who knows

Baktown

I tried the 353 in my ROG Tube Reamer build, and it was really noisy compared to the 4558.

I would suggest buying your transistors from Small Bear Electronics or from Aron's store here in the forum.  I always test transistors when I receive them, and I've never had a bad one yet from these sources.  Another good source of parts is Pedal Parts Plus, although I've never bought anything but switches and enclosures there.

Rock on!

Axl