Shin Ei Companion Fuzz FY-2 Volume drop

Started by wilkins, December 07, 2007, 05:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilkins

Hi everyone, I just build the GGG Shin Ei Companion Fuzz FY-2 Kit, but when I turn on the fuzz box, the volume was drop.

that I have turn the max volume level, and i double check the component, this all correct on the PCB, and bias the voltage Q1: C-5.39, B-0.62, E-0; Q2 C-1.70, B-0.59, E-0.

Can I make this pedal louder???

Mark Hammer

It should be much louder than the bypass signal, though not as loud as some distortions/fuzzes can get.  If it is only somewhat louder than bypass, you have no problem.  If it is not as loud as bypass, you do have a problem.

wilkins

yes, my one is not louder than bypass, can i solve it??

Mark Hammer

Just for testing purposes, lift one end of the .1uf cap in the filter circuit between the Fuzz and Volume controls.  It should get MUCH louder.

wilkins

Quote from: Mark Hammer on December 07, 2007, 11:22:53 AM
Just for testing purposes, lift one end of the .1uf cap in the filter circuit between the Fuzz and Volume controls.  It should get MUCH louder.

I done that, but this not work and lower volume than before

I also change the VC resistor, but can't make this louder.............. :icon_frown:

Mark Hammer

Well.  That  should not happen.  Seems like there is a problem with your build somewhere.  Wiring, solder bridge, cold solder joint, reversed transistor, or whatever.  Check it all one more time.

wilkins

hi I want to ask some detail, you mean take off the .1uf cap from filter circuit, do you meaning take off the cap change to jumper (I done that way)??

mountainking

Quote from: wilkins on December 08, 2007, 11:22:12 PM

hi I want to ask some detail, you mean take off the .1uf cap from filter circuit, do you meaning take off the cap change to jumper (I done that way)??

No, just remove the cap. If you replace the cap with a jumper it will drop the volume even more.

Alan

mountainking

By the way, rather then removing the .1uf cap you might want to change it to .047uf then change the 10k resistor to 33k and the 15k resistor to 47k. Just a idea, worth a try.

Mark Hammer

Excellent advice.  The existing 2-resistor/2-cap network is merely one type of midscoop, and neither the depth nor the location/band nor the treble/bass balance is necessarily one that suits your amp or guitar or ears; it's just a choice someone in Japan made 40 years ago.  Feel free to play with it.  Just note that, as a midscoop, it works by bleeding signal, so be careful that the component choices don't bleed too much.

mountainking

By the way, as others have mentioned before the fuzz pot seems to be wired wrong on the ggg schematic. Most likely the outer lugs of the pot should be connected to the .0022 and .0033 caps and the wiper should connect to the filter(.001/10k junction).

Mark Hammer

Actually, apparently it's not wrong at all.  Personally, I prefer it the way you've described, as a kind of pan/blend control, but it will "work" the other way too.

exhausted

Quote from: mountainking on December 08, 2007, 11:51:17 PM
By the way, rather then removing the .1uf cap you might want to change it to .047uf then change the 10k resistor to 33k and the 15k resistor to 47k. Just a idea, worth a try.

sorry to bump this but i wanted to say thanks for posting this.  i was having the same volume issue and this fixed it up.  i used 22k for the 10k and 33k for the 15k though to get the eq where i wanted it.

Dragonfly

Easy solution, which is addressed in my gallery...

connect lug-2 of fuzz knob to lug-2 of volume knob...

no more volume drop....

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/d/10835-2/SHIN_EI_FY2_001.jpg