Sourcing pots

Started by moro, December 10, 2007, 12:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moro

Why is it that reverse log pots are so hard to find? The only place I've seen that carries them is Smallbear. Are they not used in regular electronics / audio?

Also, has anyone ever seen an audio pot with an SPST switch? Not the push-pull kind, but the type that clicks off when you turn it fully counter clockwise. Analogman uses them in his fuzzes so you're not draining the battery all the time. Seems like a good idea.

Thanks.

davent

Digikey carry pots with the switch you are looking for, made by CTS. The problem i see with them is that they have a 1/8" shaft so knobs may prove a problem. I drilled out a 1'4" piece of brass rod to make a bushing to use with these pots and the knobs i like to use.

For reverse wound pots if you don't want to order them from Smallbear you could always just swap  the outside leads on a regular log pot.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

John Lyons

Moro
Mouser has some switched pots with 1/4 shafts. Try  mouser # 31XP505-F (500K SPST switch 24mm)

One reason that there aren't many reverse audio posts is that analog has been replaced by digital controllers which can simulate that response curve without a mechanical part such as a pot.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

moro

Quote from: davent on December 10, 2007, 01:04:23 PM
Digikey carry pots with the switch you are looking for, made by CTS. The problem i see with them is that they have a 1/8" shaft so knobs may prove a problem. I drilled out a 1'4" piece of brass rod to make a bushing to use with these pots and the knobs i like to use.

Thanks. I looked on Digikey but I always have trouble finding stuff there. I guess I need to get their print catalog.

QuoteFor reverse wound pots if you don't want to order them from Smallbear you could always just swap  the outside leads on a regular log pot.

Does this work? Won't the curve be flipped?

moro

Quote from: John Lyons on December 10, 2007, 01:19:23 PM
Mouser has some switched pots with 1/4 shafts. Try  mouser # 31XP505-F (500K SPST switch 24mm)

Ah, thank you. For some reason, I didn't think to check the 24mm pots.

One reason that there aren't many reverse audio posts is that analog has been replaced by digital controllers which can simulate that response curve without a mechanical part such as a pot.

Ah, interesting. It's still a little surprising, since Mouser seems to have everything.

The Tone God

Digikey does carry 1/4inch reverse log pots that are 28mm in size made by Clairstat IIRC.

Andrew

davent

Quote from: The Tone God on December 10, 2007, 02:38:08 PM
Digikey does carry 1/4inch reverse log pots that are 28mm in size made by Clairstat IIRC.

Andrew

Found PEC reverse log at Digikey, PEC pots are big and EXPENSIVE.  Look for the KB series from PEC.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

soulsonic

Also try looking for pots with "C" taper - that's another way of saying Reverse Log taper.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

moro

Thanks for all the pointers! I just ordered Digikey's print catalog--hopefully, that'll make things easier to find.