Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery

Started by dano12, December 11, 2007, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulyy

Hi everyone. I'm Paul. After reading some pages on this forum. I wanted to see if I can build one of these pedals. So far I got it to work but I think I would want more overdrive. Something a bit tighter sounding. I have heard some of the sound clips from Shimster and Zambo and they sound great. I want to go for something like what they have. I haven't had much time to mess with the caps and resister but I'm working on when I have time. Any help would be great. Thanks. Noob. ;D

Renegadrian

All the n00bs are welcome as long as they want to have fun with this $h.t!!!  :icon_wink:
The Valvy is a good booster/overdrive but yeah it's not a gain monster...If you're after some more gain, why don't you try my TUBE STAR?! It's as easy to build as the Valvy and yeah it gives you that extra kick!
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

motorhead

anchovie

Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

paulyy

Quote from: paulyy on March 17, 2010, 03:09:06 AM
Hi everyone. I'm Paul. After reading some pages on this forum. I wanted to see if I can build one of these pedals. So far I got it to work but I think I would want more overdrive. Something a bit tighter sounding. I have heard some of the sound clips from Shimster and Zambo and they sound great. I want to go for something like what they have. I haven't had much time to mess with the caps and resister but I'm working on when I have time. Any help would be great. Thanks. Noob. ;D
Thanks for the welcome. I figured this wasnt going to be a high gain project but I do have a thing for OD pedal as well. I tryed hook up a second tube to my VC but no luck. I got both to power up but only one was making sound. I tryed to read the schmatics but I cant read schmatics. Ill just start tweaking with what I have so far. Thanks.

paulyy

Quote from: Renegadrian on March 17, 2010, 08:13:54 AM
All the n00bs are welcome as long as they want to have fun with this $h.t!!!  :icon_wink:
The Valvy is a good booster/overdrive but yeah it's not a gain monster...If you're after some more gain, why don't you try my TUBE STAR?! It's as easy to build as the Valvy and yeah it gives you that extra kick!
I ment to put your quote in and not mine. Still trying to figure out how this forum works :icon_redface:

Renegadrian

Should you need more than a standard Valvy, try the twincaster, which is 2 Valvies!

paulyy

Quote from: Renegadrian on March 17, 2010, 03:37:25 PM
Should you need more than a standard Valvy, try the twincaster, which is 2 Valvies!
That's what i was going for but couldn't figure out. It sucks that I have to be so visual :icon_mad:

paulyy

Ok. I figurerd out how to make the daul VC and works really well. Im using a 1spot 9V to power it for now untill I can find a good 12V. I found out that 1spot doesnt make a 12V any more. Witch SUCKS! Id post pics but cant figure out how to post them ???

paulyy

paulyy

paulyy

Trying to put some pics up but no luck. Ill try latter.

anchovie

You need to host the pics on a site somewhere - we can't all see your F: drive!  :)

Menahemd

i just finished building mine and i ran into a problem..

i have got a signal,when its bypassd.
and when i turn it on,the led works and when i turn the volume up i just hear a hum...

any ideas?

anchovie

It's wired up wrong.

Sorry if that seems unhelpful, but you need to do some basic debugging on this. There's a sticky thread about that.

Renegadrian

maybe we need some more info to get to the problem...Judging on the little you wrote, the only thing that we can say is...That it's wired wrong!

Menahemd

sorry for my last post i posted it after i tried to solve the all day... i dident think clearly...
after i looked at the debugging post i checked things out so.

this is where i got the idea to build the valvecaster http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pedals/71001-diy-tube-overdrive.html

i checked the wiring 3 times and all seems in place,im using a 12au7 tube,and im using a 3PDT switch.
i get a signal when its bypassed,and when i turn it on the led turns on,and when i turn up the volume i hear a hum and when i turn up the volume more the hum gets stronger...
the tube works and it gets hot and glows.

im using a 9 volt dc supply

i measured the voltage on the tube legs,when the gain was fully opend:

1- 10.03
2- 0
3- 1.44
4- 0
5- 12.23
6- 4.75
7- -0.24
8- 0
9- 6.10

Renegadrian

It's not a regulated wall wart, I think...You got 12.23 at the heaters (which is very good for that kind of tube, running at 12V)
pin 4 is ground so 0V - pin 9 halves the voltage, so it should be correct to have that voltage on pin 9, altough pin 9 isn't connected to anything, right?! For other voltage references, you should read this chart by Rick

Pin 1: 3.02v
Pin 2: -0.518v
Pin 3: 0.00v
Pin 4: 0.00v
Pin 5: 11.97v
Pin 6: 8.21v
Pin 7: -1.285v
Pin 8: 0.00v
Pin 9: 5.91v

Take measurements from yours with the tube in the socket, power engaged, and everything set to maximum

What is unusual is voltage on pin 1. check the resistor at that pin!
and also pin 3.

motorhead

I finished mine, too!  :)

well, it's not exactly the valvy...  it uses more than 200 V  :P

and I couldn't stop at the preamp stage, I made an entire amp  ;D

and it sounds damn good, although the output transformer isn't exactly what the schematic demands, but what the hell... it's an all tube amp, after all, I recomend it to you all!

http://ax84.com/sel.html

savvy

Hi all, newby here,I have read all thro this and not found an answer to my question below. I have built a 386 with a marsha pre amp  and wish to replace the pre-amp with this valvy and run it off 9v to start and move to 12v when I build my reg supply.  I have a stratoblaster built in to the guitar which gives a nice boost to the marsha 386 when full up and a nice clean as I turn the gain down on the SBlaster.
The question I have is: can I omit the gain pot on the valvy as I already have the gain on the 386 and guitar?Do I just leave pin 3 vacant?
Thanks all Barrie :)