Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery

Started by dano12, December 11, 2007, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalGod

Quote from: dano12 on December 12, 2007, 09:22:41 AM

Here's a diagram for using a 12AX7 as a clipper pair based on info from another thread here:

has anyone got this configuration to work as clipping diodes in an SD-1 ????

savvy

I just remembered I had seen it somewhere ie page 40 answer by Frequency Central it will not work with pin 3 open,now thinking a mid point resistor ie 25K ish and work from there?any thoughts please? Thanks.

savvy

;) Well,I just finished building it and guess what ??? WORKED first time :D now thats a first :icon_biggrin:
Lovely tones and off 9v as well, get my psu regulated now and away we go and experiment :icon_cool:
Big THANK YOU ALL for this post.Cheers all I owe you all a drink-i-poo. Regards Barrie

paulyy

Quote from: MetalGod on April 03, 2010, 05:27:17 PM

Here's a diagram for using a 12AX7 as a clipper pair based on info from another thread here:

I used this same layout in my SD1 and it worked fine. 1 and 8 go to D6 and 3 and 8 go to D4. I left D5 stock. Hope that helps. Id post pics but don't know how. :icon_question:

MetalGod

Quote from: paulyy on April 07, 2010, 11:00:32 PM
Quote from: MetalGod on April 03, 2010, 05:27:17 PM

I used this same layout in my SD1 and it worked fine. 1 and 8 go to D6 and 3 and 8 go to D4. I left D5 stock. Hope that helps. Id post pics but don't know how. :icon_question:

the pedal still 'worked' when I did this too, but the valve itself is not working or adding anything to the mix (the valve is actually turning itself 'off' as the grid is doing nothing) - all you have is the SD-1 without any clipping.  to get the valve to act as clipping diodes the grids need connected to their corresponding plates - you can hear that the valve is clipping when you do this.

neurino

Ok, just here to add a pic of my no-tone Valvecaster.

Many thanks to Adriano a.k.a. Renegadrian for direct support to a compatriot :icon_mrgreen:

I had only the time to try it in a Little Fender Frontman 15R but the improvement in sound is stunning: adds really a warm valve tone, even to a thinly suonding 8" solid state practice amp, looking forward to try it with the Lionheart and also with bass in my solid state Mark Bass rig!

Renegadrian

FANTASTIC! I use it too on bass with great results, gives me a lot of "air"!
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Txiske

Hi people!!!
I'm new here. I've built a valvecaster a few months ago, and now I'm going to build another, but maybe this one without the tone pot. But... what I want to know is, if I remove it, how would it sound? as if it is with the tone pot set to max, min or...? I know that the pot doesn't make a lot of difference, but if there is someone that could help me... sorry for my English!!! and thank you!!! I'll post pics when I finish the new one!!
... the more I learn, the less I know...

Renegadrian

Hello and WELCOME! Your english is quite good, at least this poor italian understood everything you wrote... :icon_wink:
I made my first one with the tone pot - as it just filter some highs to ground, the more you turn it CCW the more highs go to ground, so you have no high at all, at the same time the tone pot maxed is like nothing goes to ground.
So yes, no pot or pot at its max position is the same!
Pics are always appreciated!!!

Txiske

Thanks Renegadrian!!!  ;)
I've made a new valvecaster, this one without the tone control, it's great!
And I decided to make another and combine both in one pedal (like the twincaster). And I've put a minitoogle switch, so you can choose to use it as a valvecaster or as a twincaster. It works, it's a great crunchy overdrive! but when I turn the volume pot or the gain pot loud I can hear the radio! :icon_confused: wtf!!! that must be grounding problem, no?
I'll try to solder the grounds again...
And what about if I put a tone stack??? with 3 knobs for hi mids and low? would it improve the sound or...?
When I finish the enclosure I'll post pics!!!

Rg505bk

Cool thread!

I've been trying out all the mods on breadboard and decided to build the twin caster. Here's my progress so far.
it's amazing what you can do with a handle, plexi glass and a couple of parts from an old washing machine...

As you can see I've not done any wiring yet, just the case. I think I'll use push-pull pots for gain switches and maybe for negative feedback.

Anyway a big thank you for all of you who have contributed to this thread, I'm off to heat my soldering iron ;)

Txiske

Hi again!
I post here some pics of my valvecaster and my new twincaster, hope you like them!

I've put the voltage filter and regulator inside the twincaster, but when I turn the gain and volume loud there's still some little radio interferences... maybe I try with another caps... or just resolder everything again and a bit more clean  :)

thedefog

I just finished a build using a RCA 12at7 for the tube. I find it doesn't get too gritty at all, and only begins to break up with the gain is turned 1/2 way or more. It sounds pretty transparent actually. I was expected it to be pretty dirty. Now I just have to house this sucker. I wish I had cleaned the pins before soldering everything on there though, as they were pretty dirty and solder doesn't take to them. But I didn't feel like buying a socket, as the whole point of the build for me was that I already had all the necessary parts.

paulyy

Iv had this done for awhile so heres some pics.

Just need some paint. Thanks to everyone that helped.

rockhorst

I've browsed quite a few pages in this thread and am pretty interested in building one of these. I love simplicity.

I've got a couple of questions though, the answer might be in here somewhere, but 85 pages is a LOT. And I'm a ToobNoob
So here goes:

• as every single tube is a little different, would/could/should you bias the tube for optimum performance and are the component values just starting points? Which components would do the biassing?

• I understand the heaters need 12V, and I have seen it mentioned that some have put voltages way over that on the anodes, using charge pumps. What effect does this have and should component (ratings) be adjusted for this?

• How to best power the effect? It eats through batteries, a One Spot is only 9V, PP2 'only' supplies about 200mA at 12V (which as I understand is barely enough). Not very keen on using a separate power supply for just that one tube pedal.

• is there a single document available that summarizes the whole bunch, including mods 'n stuff?
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

guitarify

I also just stumbled across this thread and wondered if there were any other resources to help a pedal noob put one of these together. Any parts lists or kits based on this?
How similar is this to The Persuader - http://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/accessories/K-930

Renegadrian

Hello guitarfly, I guess you should put enough effort and read the topic and search for the various layouts in the gallery, you have plenty of info just searching!!!
I have seen the Persuader, I know it has got an IC inside, maybe a 4558?! So it's not that similar to the Valvy, but I guess more to other tube pedals driven by an IC. Personally I don't like them, but hey they can give a good sound (altough not PURE tube...) No need to buy a damned overpriced Persuader kit, and for the Valvy there are no kits, just some regular components you can get at the local store...

6strings

Hey - just finished my very first project... Matsumin. I am having some trouble. Worked great out of the aluminum project box. Mounted everything inside OK. 9V power plug is neg tip and pos ring... right? When I mount the plug it is grounding out via the box. Now nothing works. What I am missing? Sorry if this is sounds dumb or is simple. Could use the help. Thanks

Did you use a metal power socket ?? If so, you need a plastic one. A really simple mistake which I've made myself.

6strings

yes, metal. yes, simple mistake. took it out of the box and it works great. looking for a plastic power plug now. thanks for the heads up. cheers!