Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery

Started by dano12, December 11, 2007, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spankyspangler

Ark Angel HFB

Well as of right now this is were my Valve-Master Project Stands...

Below is not verified...

Ok things to note...
1. C4/C5 can be left off as it sounds fine without them

2. R4/R5 sound good anywhere from 1k to 0 (they effect gain and volume greatly)

3. R2/R3 sound good anywhere from 1k to 100k (they effect and volume greatly)

4. D1/C6/C7/R6 Form very basic power filtering plus reverse polarity protection. http://www.beavisaudio.com/projects/Huminator/index.htm

5. I leave an extra space after the hook up cables in purpose sp you can drill through the boad there and run the wire through so that the solder joint is never stressed.

6. The Tone Shaper is this http://www.muzique.com/lab/swtc.htm

7. This may come in handy for getting R2/R3/R4/R5/C4/C5 tuned to the correct values... http://www.ampbooks.com/home/amplifier-calculators/cathode-capacitor/
(C4/C5 are each one CK) (R2/R3 are each one RL) (R4/R5 are each one RK)

8. C1/C2 Higher value like 22nF also works but the bass can get out of hand fast...

I hope this helps... the real battle with this pedal will be tuning the amount of volume increase while still preserving the quality of the sound... will have more for you guys later.
"..So I hooked up the power and it was the greatest Radio I'd ever heard. Too bad I was trying to make a Tremolo..."

KNA

I just got my Valvecaster up and running, but I think it sounds a bit weak. I built in a switchable SHO boost in front of it but with everything at max my clean signal is still louder than the signal through the pedal. I just want to clearify that the pedal should increase the volume, right?
What could cause this volume drop? Faulty tube? I've checked for reversed pot connections but everythings seems to be correct.

I'm using a JJ ecc82 tube and the pedal runs on a fresh 9v.

Any suggestions? I want loud pedals!  :D
Trophies, swedish hardcore at its best: http://trophies.bandcamp.com/

Ark Angel HFB

Quote from: KNA on November 18, 2012, 03:52:55 AM
I just got my Valvecaster up and running, but I think it sounds a bit weak. I built in a switchable SHO boost in front of it but with everything at max my clean signal is still louder than the signal through the pedal. I just want to clearify that the pedal should increase the volume, right?
What could cause this volume drop? Faulty tube? I've checked for reversed pot connections but everythings seems to be correct.

Frist let me say this... something is wrong. This pedal is the loudest pedal I've every seen.... it can give almost as much as 40+ db of boost.

Ok a few questions...

1. What values are you using for everything... A wrong value in one place can dropped the volume massively
2. Do you have more than one tube to test in the circuit.... if not get more.
3. What layout did you use.
"..So I hooked up the power and it was the greatest Radio I'd ever heard. Too bad I was trying to make a Tremolo..."

Jdansti

In addition to what Ark Angel recommends, double check your battery voltage with the pedal powered up.  Also, try temporarily separating the output of the SHO from the input of the Valvecaster and check each circuit independently. This would help you to cut the problem in half.  If you have low volume from both sub-circuits, then your problem is common to both.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Ark Angel HFB

Quote from: Jdansti on November 18, 2012, 05:11:30 PM

In addition to what Ark Angel recommends, double check your battery voltage with the pedal powered up.  Also, try temporarily separating the output of the SHO from the input of the Valvecaster and check each circuit independently. This would help you to cut the problem in half.  If you have low volume from both sub-circuits, then your problem is common to both.

I get the feeling you think he may have a power supply problem... a bad battery, or power supply will cause problems...

KNA

Quote from: Ark Angel HFB on November 18, 2012, 04:59:30 PM

Frist let me say this... something is wrong. This pedal is the loudest pedal I've every seen.... it can give almost as much as 40+ db of boost.

Then I'm off to debugging! I used this design: http://juansolo.demon.co.uk/stompage/schematics/Valve%20Casters/LPB+Valvecaster.jpg
Seems like I mixed up the SHO with the LPD boost, sorry for that. It's the LPD I'm using.
If I'm not mistaken the design is the same as the one used by many earlier in this thread, so it should be verified. I have also compared the boost design to others and it seems to be verified as well. I used sockets for all the caps to allow some tweaking. I havent triple checked the resistors though. I also read on another forum that changing the volume pot to 50k should increase the volume, but I think my problem is bigger than that. Off to ebay for another tube I guess. Thanks for your help so far!

Ark Angel HFB

I will be honest... I think the valve master is far better than the valve caster.

that being said... if you wish to keep the what you currently have and just tweak it and let us help you... Try this for me.

1. FRIST!!! Take voltage reading of your power supply both with load and without.
..... THEN power reading from every pin. (Do this by grounding you black lead on your multi meter and touching the red one to the different areas.)

2. If possible i'd also like to ask that you try the layout I posted at the top of this page. Just skip the tone shaper part of the circuit. it isn't working how I wanted.... it isn't bad... but there are other options.

KNA

Then the Valve master is in line for future projects!

So here are my results: Battery without load: 8,2v. With load: 6,8v
Pin 1: 6,5v
Pin 2: 0,03v
Pin 3: 0,0v
Pin 4: 0,0v
Pin 5: 6,7v
Pin 6: 6,5v
Pin 7: 0,03v
Pin 8: 0,0v
Pin 9: 3,2v

I've compared the results to others earlier in this thread and it doesn't seem quite right. I also double checked the resistors and all four is correct. New tube? Would be an easy solution  ;D
What bothers me most in this is that this is the simplest cicuit I've built but it's still the one that has caused me the most trouble.

Jdansti

Quote from: KNA on November 20, 2012, 12:25:45 PM
Then the Valve master is in line for future projects!

So here are my results: Battery without load: 8,2v. With load: 6,8v
Pin 1: 6,5v
Pin 2: 0,03v
Pin 3: 0,0v
Pin 4: 0,0v
Pin 5: 6,7v
Pin 6: 6,5v
Pin 7: 0,03v
Pin 8: 0,0v
Pin 9: 3,2v

I've compared the results to others earlier in this thread and it doesn't seem quite right. I also double checked the resistors and all four is correct. New tube? Would be an easy solution  ;D
What bothers me most in this is that this is the simplest cicuit I've built but it's still the one that has caused me the most trouble.

It looks to me like you're battery is too low. Try a fresh 9V battery or two fresh 9V batteries in parallel (not series!). I think that the heaters drain 9v batteries pretty quickly. The other thing you could do is use a 12vdc PS. That's what I'm using and it works great since the heaters are rated at 12v when both heaters are used in series.  I assume that you're heater voltage is connected through pins 4 and 5 and no connection to pin 9.
  • SUPPORTER

KNA

Success!!
I tried to run it on 9v through an adapter, and now it's loud! Never thought a few decivolts could do that much difference. Huge thanks for the help! See you soon in the Pictures thread...

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER

Renegadrian

...Name of this topic is misleading...It should be changed to Tube boost + overdrive running off a 1A 12V wall wart
500mA should be good too, but 1 is to be safe.
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Ark Angel HFB

Quote from: Renegadrian on November 21, 2012, 07:01:35 PM
...Name of this topic is misleading...It should be changed to Tube boost + overdrive running off a 1A 12V wall wart
500mA should be good too, but 1 is to be safe.

Lol I know right.

esdiezy28

Hey there everyone! Over 150 pages of work thus far, mighty impressive.

Many of us have built more than one Valvecaster with our personal tweaks, maybe we can re-consolidate our efforts, to save some massive page sifting? For newcomers and returners alike.

Also, I found this link online, and was wondering if anyone has morphed this variation into a Valvcaster as yet? http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard2/Triodes_at_low_voltages_Blencowe.pdf

I'll be making attempt #2 at getting the above link working in a Valvecaster today, and will post my results.
Ruby Amp, Noisy Cricket, NPN Boost, modded Mockman 1.0, Bazz Fuss, J201 Fetzer Valve, Valvecaster, modded Valvecaster

Resistance is futile!

Renegadrian

I experimented with the fender bassman input stage - quite decent booster!!! very loud!
It is similar - a gain stage and a "buffer" stage. Try it!!!
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

rutabaga bob

@Tony E.  Regarding the 'saving from massive page-sifting', I think Aron did that a while back...printed out to about 12 pages if memory serves.  I'll try and look it up, if no one else jumps in about it.
@Adriano  Nice to see you're still 'riding herd' on this thread... :icon_biggrin:
Larry
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

rutabaga bob

Okay...go back to page 134...posting by rotylee, reply #2660.  Aron's summary pdf and other links.  Larry
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

esdiezy28

2nd run thru worked like a charm! Will post my schematic soon as I can remember how to post pics. For my 12V Valvecasters that didn't use a charge pump to boost the Plate Voltage, the sound was very good.
Ruby Amp, Noisy Cricket, NPN Boost, modded Mockman 1.0, Bazz Fuss, J201 Fetzer Valve, Valvecaster, modded Valvecaster

Resistance is futile!

esdiezy28

From my previous link at http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard2/Triodes_at_low_voltages_Blencowe.pdf

I have successfully implemented this configuration into a Valvecaster. Here's the schematic of my verified version.

Resistance is futile!