Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery

Started by dano12, December 11, 2007, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suncrush

Quote from: vigilante397 on April 03, 2015, 09:59:51 AM
Welcome to the forum :) The best way to use this pedal in an overdrive-free situation would be to stick with the 12AU7, which are lower gain than the 12AX7, 12AT7, etc. You would probably also want to experiment with resistor values to substitute for the gain pot to give you a "stuck clean."

Not sure if the person who asked the question this addresses still cares, but running at 18 V substantially increases clean headroom.  You'll need a 36-ohm, 2-W resistor in the heater loop.

Buildtestrepeat

I thought I'd join up to say thanks to everyone.  The Valvecaster was my first pedal after I searched out a simple project to start on.  (I'll be starting my 6th pedal soon)
My version was a standard point to point build but with a 22nf input cap.  I've since added a FAL treble boost before the input cap that I found on this forum.  I had to use a J201 in the boost because I didn't have a 2n2222 in my small but growing parts stash but it works fine after a bit of leg bending.  The tone knob now has some work to do.   I run it at 12v for best results. 

http://bayleysweb.wix.com/steves-airbrush-odyssey#!__guitar-effects/photostackergallery0=0

ghostsauce

Hey guys.. I am considering building a standard valvecaster with a different input cap for better results with humbuckers and need your opinions.. Would this be a decent dirty boost to use in front of a distorted marshall? I am looking to add a little more tube gain to my Class 5, for more of a 2203 sound (think slash I guess, but you know the sound). Any opinions on that? I can't for the life of me find a vid that demos the pedal as anything but a standalone overdrive. Drivin' me nuts!  :icon_mrgreen:

vigilante397

Quote from: ghostsauce on May 09, 2015, 03:39:21 PM
Hey guys.. I am considering building a standard valvecaster with a different input cap for better results with humbuckers and need your opinions.. Would this be a decent dirty boost to use in front of a distorted marshall? I am looking to add a little more tube gain to my Class 5, for more of a 2203 sound (think slash I guess, but you know the sound). Any opinions on that? I can't for the life of me find a vid that demos the pedal as anything but a standalone overdrive. Drivin' me nuts!  :icon_mrgreen:

I'm sure this pedal would be great for that. Frankly I've had trouble finding anything it isn't great for. I'm not sure you would need to adjust the input cap as it sounds great with every guitar I've thrown in front of it.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

ghostsauce

Cool. Perusing the intarwebz, the general consensus seems to be that it the standard value is good for singlecoils, but:

QuoteChange the input cap (C1) to 22nF and its a whole new game. Lots of ACDC-esque tone, lovely response and works well with humbuckers

So maybe I'll socket it then and try both, not a switch since I only have HB guitars right now anyways. Anybody attempt the above?

suncrush

Yeah, with the Fender Atomic Humbucker on my Strat. I preferred the 47, but those are my ears. Try both and let your ears decide.

ghostsauce

Will do! And lastly, what the heck do you call those roll bars used on valvecasters? And where do you find em?!

EVAD

You can use a C clamp or metal cupboard door handles.

vigilante397

Quote from: ghostsauce on May 10, 2015, 04:08:13 PM
Will do! And lastly, what the heck do you call those roll bars used on valvecasters? And where do you find em?!

I personally prefer the look of these for externally mounted tubes, but that's just me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130678756876?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

ghostsauce

Sweet, I was wondering where those came from. I went with mounting a tube socket from the inside and using standoffs to get it to the right depth. Now I just gotta snag a step drill bit that will do a big enough hole to fit the tube and I'm set. Hoping to snag one from my local hardware store.. but that might not be doable.

ghostsauce

Actually, I do have another question.. think this power supply will be ok with it? - http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/wall-transformer-12-volt-ac-ac-1-amp/
I can't tell if it's regulated or not, but it's 12v / 1000mA at least.

There's also this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Power-Adapter-12V-DC-Supply-2a-amp-regulated-Wall-Wart-Charger-5-5-mm-2-1-mm-/181579405953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a46f9da81

Any thoughts? What did you guys use?

vigilante397

I would definitely trust the one from Smallbear, partially because I trust everything from Smallbear (they're amazing) and partially because it's from Electro-Harmonix. I'm not positive it's regulated, but I would imagine it's at least filter. The one from eBay is most likely neither, and it's also center positive (standard for pedals is center negative) so if you do go for that you should either take that into account while building or (more preferable) modify the power supply to be center negative.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

snap

Quote from: ghostsauce on May 11, 2015, 03:30:07 PM
Actually, I do have another question.. think this power supply will be ok with it? - http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/wall-transformer-12-volt-ac-ac-1-amp/
I can't tell if it's regulated or not, but it's 12v / 1000mA at least.

There's also this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Power-Adapter-12V-DC-Supply-2a-amp-regulated-Wall-Wart-Charger-5-5-mm-2-1-mm-/181579405953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a46f9da81

Any thoughts? What did you guys use?
the first one puts out AC, the second one DC.

vigilante397

Quote from: snap on May 12, 2015, 02:34:08 AM
the first one puts out AC, the second one DC.

EXCELLENT point, can't believe I didn't catch that :P Very big difference there. Try a Visual Sound One Spot, regulated 9v DC and filtered.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

ghostsauce

Alright, I actually have a spare 1spot. I think they make a 12v version too so I'll probably order one.. Keep reading that it sounds much better on 12v. Thanks for the help folks!

DiogoSoares

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

ghostsauce

Holy tone enabler, Batman! This thing is unreal!

I'm using my 9v 1spot right now, and have a 12vDC 500mA regulated supply in the mail.. but even at 9v it is fantastic. Had to use a 22nF input cap to sound best with my humbuckers, but otherwise it is the original version. I am using it to goose my class 5 right now into sonic bliss, but I've found that I can set the amp clean and use the VC on it's own for gain with excellent results that sounds just as good although a little different than my amp's gain, and it's in pedal format so I can run delays after it. This thing is a frickin' godsend. It really shines as a boost though. Since the amp is NMV, I set it for ACDC and use the valvecaster to boost it to scorpions. :D 

The tube in the pic is a Tungsol 12ax7, but I am actually using it with a Jan/Phillips 12au7. It's just amazing. Lots of low end too, and really nice and crisp up top when the volume is above unity, not dark at all.

Thanks everybody for your contributions to this thread. :D

suncrush

stallik

Nice job Ghostsauce. Like the way you've dropped the tube

I put this one together to try adding some diode clipping. (symmetric/none/asymmetric) on a 3pole switch. First time I've tried that on a valvecaster & it certainly adds a lot of extra grind. Wrapped in carbon vinyl that I had laying around.

Guts are a bit messy but it works
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein