Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery

Started by dano12, December 11, 2007, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FuzzFanatic71

Hi all, my name is Brendan and I'm from Australia. This is my first post and it's great to finally be part of this forum. I have started to acquire the parts needed to build my first Valvecaster and I'm very excited about it. I'm not new to DIY, but this will be my first valve build. I've built loads of overdrive, fuzz and boost pedals with great success. I'm planning on building a 2 pot version without the tone control with stock component values. But will use a socket for C1 so I can experiment with different caps and find the right frequency for my bass guitar.
All I need to order is my valve and valve socket, then I'm ready to go. After much research and reading this whole thread, I've settled on a Russian made Tung-Sol 12AU7/6189 valve. Does anyone here have any experience with this particular valve in this circuit?
There has been a lot of awesome builds in this thread. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing more.
Why won't this @$&$ing thing work?

FuzzFanatic71

duck_arse

not dead, fuzzf, just resting. you know how slow those bass players are .......

also, welcome to the forum, from a c0ckroach.
don't make me draw another line.

FuzzFanatic71

Thanks for the welcome. Seeing your handle and the way you spell arse would I be right in guessing you're another Aussie? Are there many others here?

stallik

Hi FuzzFanatic & welcome.

Not used bass with the Valvecaster but it's my experience that C1 is necessary to prevent things becoming too bass heavy. That makes me think that with the right cap in place, it should be successful with the lower frequencies. It's a good idea to socket it while you debug. If you can't make up your mind, you can always insert a switch to change between 2 or more.

Nor have I used a Tung Sol but I've tried many other 12ua7's and they all give very good results. Interestingly, I've also used old 12ax7's from Brimar and Mullard and they also work really well though more modern equivalents don't. I'm running all of mine at 12 volts DC.

Good luck with your build and don't forget to post the results.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

duck_arse

Quote from: FuzzFanatic71 on July 27, 2015, 12:00:34 PM
Thanks for the welcome. Seeing your handle and the way you spell arse would I be right in guessing you're another Aussie? Are there many others here?

arse, c0ckroach, yes, north of the border, nsw. not many, but we have a few cobbers in each state, it seems. give a coo-ee anytime.

FuzzFanatic71

Quote from: duck_arse on July 28, 2015, 10:41:40 AM
Quote from: FuzzFanatic71 on July 27, 2015, 12:00:34 PM

give a coo-ee anytime.
No worries mate, will do. Never really heard the expression %^&*roach for Aussies.

And thanks for the advice and warm welcome stallik.

FuzzFanatic71

duck_arse

not c0ckroach for aussie, for new south welshman. cane toads (banana benders), c0ckroachs, mexicans and brother lovers, north to south down the east coast states.

and yes, the censor smites at all odd times. b@#*&%d!

FuzzFanatic71

You just dated yourself mate. Those terms were just a bit before my time. My dad uses them. The only ones I heard growing up was banana bender QLD, crow eater SA and sandgroper WA.

We had better get this thread back on topic.
Just a quick noob question. If I wire 2 caps together in parallel, do I get the combined of those 2 values? Eg. 47uf + 10uf = 57uf

bluebunny

Quote from: FuzzFanatic71 on July 29, 2015, 03:50:06 AM
Just a quick noob question. If I wire 2 caps together in parallel, do I get the combined of those 2 values? Eg. 47uf + 10uf = 57uf

Yep.

And in series it's like resistors in parallel, i.e. the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals:

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

FuzzFanatic71

I just started my first Valvecaster build. Hopefully everything will work out ok.

FuzzFanatic71

I just finished my first Valvecaster build for my bass board and it was a major success. Warmed up my sterile solidstate bass amp nicely. It definitely won't be my last valve build. The next will be for my guitar board. For that one I'm thinking of putting in a clipping diode circuit.
Has anyone done any experimenting with low hfe ge transistors as clippers in this design or any other dirt pedal? I think I read somewhere that you just join the base and collector to form the cathode, and the emitter becomes the anode. Correct me if I'm wrong.

FuzzFanatic71

Mmmm, was hoping just the pic would show up. Bummer!

bluebunny

Quote from: FuzzFanatic71 on August 23, 2015, 02:02:38 PM
Wrap your URL in [IMG] [/IMG]tags, and it will.
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

That'll teach me to try to give a smart answer using Tapatalk...
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

Oh, OK. It came out as I intended (just swapped to a browser). Just Tapstalk unable to display what I wanted.  :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

FuzzFanatic71

bluebunny

Quote from: FuzzFanatic71 on August 24, 2015, 01:47:29 AM
Quote from: bluebunny on August 23, 2015, 04:26:47 PM
Quote from: FuzzFanatic71 on August 23, 2015, 02:02:38 PM
Wrap your URL in [IMG] [/IMG]tags, and it will.
Done, thanks!

Worth the wait!  Looks great, Brendan.   :icon_cool:

Quote from: Jdansti on August 23, 2015, 06:45:47 PM
That's ok, Marc. Now go back to sleep.  ;D

Thank you Dr. Danna.  Been to sleep.  Had my first coffee.  Now slowly beginning to make sense...   ;D
  • SUPPORTER