Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery

Started by dano12, December 11, 2007, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegadrian

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

tipetu

I`ve purchased a 9 pin footswitch and tried connected it as the "0.5" layout says, but nothing happends. not even any hum! how do I know which way to mount the 9 pin switch?? it`s all square and got no sign of indication what so ever!

this is the "0.5" version of the layout.. neat layout

but i found this other image of someone here building it totally dfferent?? take a look at the wiring of the switch. Which one is correct??

Renegadrian

Well, you can wire a 3PDT in some different ways...
as you can see, THIS IS SIMILAR, while THIS ONE is different...
If you followed my layout, be sure that the pins go in a horizontal way...
THIS GAUSSMARKOV image should be clear enough...(note the wiring here is different, but yeah look at the pins' direction!)

edit: HERE'S what I tried to tell you...The way it is oriented the holes are in the up/down position...See?! Be sure the switch is in its correct orientation, and it MUST work!!!
(at least the switching...) - that layout is obviously VERIFIED, I built a couple with a 3PDT, then SWITCHED (sorry...stupid here...) to DPDT.

REGNAD

tipetu

quick response! thanks! I`ll give it a try one of these days and those layouts certainly helped!

tipetu

It`s finally done!!! Thanks for superb help!!! I`ll give back some relaxing photos for you fellas to enjoy!

kinda messy but everything`s up and going!

I dodn`t want the standard red led which all pedals have so I went for a yellow one! I think it matches the gold.

this is with 8 sec exp

15 sec expo!

letterbeacon

I've just attempted a Vavlecaster and unfortunately I'm having some problems.  I just get a loud hum when it's turned on!

I'm using an unregulated 15VDC 200mA wall wart with a 7812 regulator and a 100uf cap across the DC jack.  On the output of the 7812 I measure 11.67V when the tube is out of its socket and about 9.8V when it is connected (I say about because the voltages wavers). Is this as expected?  I also notice that there is continuity between the output of the 7812 and ground when the tube is in its socket - this is to be expected though, right? as pins 4 & 5 have continuity in the 12AU7.

Here are the voltages I've measured on the tube socket (both with the tube in and with the tube out):

Tube In
7812 Pin 3: 9.90V - 10.03V

Socket:
Pin 1: 9.30V
Pin 2: -0.29V
Pin 3: 0.14V
Pin 4: 0.00V
Pin 5: 9.84V (this was in keeping the voltage at pin 3 of the 7812 at the time)
Pin 6: 9.40V
Pin 7: -0.34V
Pin 8: 0.00V
Pin 9: 5.03V

Tube out
7812 Pin 3: 11.64V

Socket:
Pin 1: 11.37V
Pin 2: 0.00V
Pin 3: 0.00V
Pin 5: 11.63V
Pin 6: 11.50V
Pin 7: 0.00V
Pin 9: 0.00V

Does anyone have any ideas?  I only just noticed that the wall wart is 200mA - is this enough for the tube?

frequencycentral

Voltages should be taken with the tube socketed. Here's mine, taken from my fully functional Valvecaster, with the Gain, Tone and Volume at maximum., my power supply is 12 volt:

Pin 1: 3.02v
Pin 2: -0.518v
Pin 3: 0.00v
Pin 4: 0.00v
Pin 5: 11.97v
Pin 6: 8.21v
Pin 7: -1.285v
Pin 8: 0.00v
Pin 9: 5.91v

You will note that your pin 1 voltage is way too high. Are you sure the associated resistor is teh correct value, and that there isn't a solder bridge?

Your 200ma wallwart is maybe not enough, as the 12AU7 heater requires 150ma alone. Additionally, both the plates require a small amount of current, and the 7812 will also require current. That's probably why the output of your 7812 isn't achieving 12 volts. An overworked wallwart will hum!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

letterbeacon

Thanks for the reply!

When I bought the wallwart from eBay I'm sure it was supposed to be a 500mA one which is why I was surprised when I noticed just now it says 200mA!  How about this one from Maplin: http://maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=32746 It's regulated so I could ditch the 7812 leaving a bit more room in the case.  Do you think 500mA will be enough?

The resistor is dead on 220K and I can't see any solder joints - there's no continuity between pins 5 and 1 either.  Hmmm... might have to come back to this one with fresh eyes in a couple of days.

frequencycentral

Quote from: letterbeacon on October 31, 2009, 10:59:25 AM
How about this one from Maplin: http://maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=32746 It's regulated so I could ditch the 7812 leaving a bit more room in the case.  Do you think 500mA will be enough?

That's the one I use. Yes you can ditch the 7812 with that one, and (to answer your next question!) it will power both a Valvecaster and a Vintage Vibe at the same time.

letterbeacon

I bought the wallwart from Maplin today so I've ditched the 7812 and now have a healthy 12VDC when the tube is in place.  I still can't figure out why I'm getting such a high volt reading at pin 1 though.  Even when I desolder the C2 (the capacitor that bridges pin 1 and 7) I'm reading around 10V at pin 1.  The resistor is a .25w 1% 220K metal film resistor.

I'm also getting a higher than usual reading at pin 6. Again there is a resistor used here to drop the voltage but again it doesn't seem to be dropping it enough.

I'm a little stuck here!

frequencycentral

R4 is the problem maybe? Definately 470K? And your tube is definately a 12AU7? Other 12**7 type tubes will give different voltages.

letterbeacon

R4 measures to be 470K and the tube has ECC82 printed on it with ECC82/ 12AU7 printed on the box.

Here are the measurements at the pins with 12.10V coming from the DC jack:

Pin 1: 10.42V
Pin 2: -0.54V
Pin 3: 0.00V
Pin 5: 12:09V
Pin 6: 10.83V
Pin 7: -0.41V
Pin 9: 6.11V

letterbeacon

I should add that the hum has gone away.  The volume pot works but the gain control, when turned up, just makes it louder.  I don't hear any distortion at all at the moment.

runmikeyrun

Hey guys, while i'm a bass player using a valvecaster on bass, just thought i'd clue you in on a little thing i learned tonight @ practice.  Try inserting your valvecaster in your amp's effects loop, if it has one.  I found mine adds a nice extra stage of saturation without getting muddy and ugly.  Try it, you might like!  I use a peavey Windsor and the valvy sounds awesome in the loop.  I'm afraid to try the twincaster i made!!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

tipetu

200mA is not that much  :-\ 

I got a 1A 9V regulated. It works absolutely perfect!! With 1A it gets lots of juice and breaks up smootly and powerful. recomended!

Renegadrian

With 1A you can stay safe, 500mA are good too...

Wasted_Bassist

Quote from: runmikeyrun on November 04, 2009, 12:19:32 AM
Hey guys, while i'm a bass player using a valvecaster on bass, just thought i'd clue you in on a little thing i learned tonight @ practice.  Try inserting your valvecaster in your amp's effects loop, if it has one.  I found mine adds a nice extra stage of saturation without getting muddy and ugly.  Try it, you might like!  I use a peavey Windsor and the valvy sounds awesome in the loop.  I'm afraid to try the twincaster i made!!

Would that just be from the line level of the fx loop?

tonedoggie

I am new to this forum (and pedal building) and am really glad I found this site.  I am hooked on building a valvecaster and want to get some parts on order.  I was hoping to feedback on the best places to buy parts  - I have been checking out this site, thetubestore.com and pedalparts.com.   Also, as far as 12au7 tubes, I was looking at what thetubestore has and they range from $10 up.   I was looking at the following and wonder if anyone has any thoughts as where to start:

NOS 5963 / 12AU7 The 5963 tube will replace 12AU7 tube types and is equivalent to the European ECC82 tube and can be used in any 12AU7 or ECC82 circuit. - $9.95

RFT ECC82Like all RFT preamp tubes, the RFT ECC82 / 12AU7 is a low noise and low microphonic preamp tube. It sounds great and is especially good for guitar amps because of its rugged construction. $29.95

I would appreciate any input anyone has
Dale B