|HOME| |DIY FAQ| |GEO FAQ| |Debugging Page| |Links| |Schematics| |Wiki| |Layouts Gallery| |STORE|
|AMPAGE| |GEOFEX| |AMZ|

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 08:18:26 PM
971432 Posts in 103576 Topics by 33030 Members
Latest Member: jzeusrivera
Home Help Login Register
DIYstompboxes.com  |  DIY Stompboxes  |  Building your own stompbox  |  Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 173 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery  (Read 903209 times)
served

Re: Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery
« Reply #1580 on: January 31, 2010, 06:27:59 AM »

Hey!

I have a question. You were saying that rising the voltage will make theese things sound better.
Well, I built PepperShredder

With this schematic

And I was thinking about feeding it with 24V. How will it work?
frequencycentral

Kicking the sh!t of of your speakers since 2008

« Reply #1581 on: January 31, 2010, 06:39:33 AM »

Hey, frequencycentral, will voltage divider work for valvecaster / twincaster type OD pedal, that will run on 18V? The divider is for heaters in series... I want to do this because I don't have any 7806 regulators...

To run a 12AU7 heater from 18 volts: pin 4 to ground, pin 5 to 18 volts via a 36 ohm / 1 watt resistor. You should be able to measure around 12.6 volts at pin 5.

I built PepperShredder.......And I was thinking about feeding it with 24V. How will it work?

Should be cool! Just remember that the tube heaters still want only 12.6 volts though. So use a 7812. Or, as you have two tubes, another solution would be to wire together the two tubes' heaters in series.

served

« Reply #1582 on: January 31, 2010, 07:01:07 AM »

Hey! Thats a good point. I will connect the heaters series. And will let you know!
Rewind

« Reply #1583 on: January 31, 2010, 09:35:56 AM »

Here is my Werevalve:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9mm_gXS-kE
Rewind

« Reply #1584 on: January 31, 2010, 09:41:48 AM »

I noticed the bite in this pedal and could think of no better name than The Werevalve:

Don't judge my playing to hard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9mm_gXS-kE

Notice the detail "ut" which is "out" in Swedish/Norwegian. The "t" in "ut" is actually the authentic ancient rune "Wolfcross" to protect against wolves. And not the natural kind. Of course the Nazis later miss-used it as a symbol for something else.

Valvecaster with 24V DC, use any polarity, 12AU7 tube.
I have built a few extra. Cost: 50 Euro/70 dollar.
Shipping from Sweden or Norway.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:51:54 AM by Rewind » Logged
zambo

Greg F. - California, U.S.A.

« Reply #1585 on: February 02, 2010, 08:02:44 PM »

Hey I ran three valvecasters together and guess what? It sounds awsome! I dropped the input caps to .001uf on the first two ans .022uf on the third. Its still pretty fat. I also ran a 12ax7 in the second stage. Here is a link to youtube clip.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ZtpJ12C2A . Check it out and please give some feedback. good or bad is fine.

I wonder what happens if I .......
Renegadrian

Adriano - Rome Italy

« Reply #1586 on: February 03, 2010, 05:10:51 AM »

WOW!  icon_eek

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!
served

« Reply #1587 on: February 03, 2010, 09:50:38 AM »

Yeah, WOW. Very good playing and good sounding pedal!
differo

Emir B. the moRe one knoWs, the less one beLieves

« Reply #1588 on: February 03, 2010, 09:53:30 AM »

damn.. my valvecaster doesn't even comes close to this one.. Awesome sound, just that good.
I'm definitely doing something wrong..

My youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeToneful

Rebote2.5,MXR dist+,DrBoogie,BSIAB2,Ross Compressor&Phaser,MXR EnvFilt &Noise Gate,TS808,Condor CabSim,SansampGT2,Fraverb,Small Clone,TremLune,ValveCaster
zambo

« Reply #1589 on: February 03, 2010, 07:05:29 PM »

Well, Thank you very much! icon_redface I will take those as great compliments! I am trying to figure out how to run these at 30 volts or so. I know the heater only gets 12.6 max  so where do I hook up the 30 volts? To the anodes? I am looking for a schematic but I cant tell the mechanics of it from vero board layouts. ( iwish I wasnt such a visual person). Any one have a clue? ( its a rhetorical question, I know Renegadrian knows...  Wink )

zambo

« Reply #1590 on: February 03, 2010, 07:09:35 PM »

p.s. Differo, I just daisy chained three together to get that much gain. My single doesnt get that much ( although its still maybe my favorite tone..) and I had to build it twice before I even got sound out of it at all. Just keep going on them and they will sound good. I figured out using heat sinks keeps me from burning all my parts up while I solder. Go figure... Cheers Gentlemen!

Renegadrian

Adriano - Rome Italy

« Reply #1591 on: February 03, 2010, 07:59:07 PM »

Well, Thank you very much! icon_redface I will take those as great compliments! I am trying to figure out how to run these at 30 volts or so. I know the heater only gets 12.6 max  so where do I hook up the 30 volts? To the anodes? I am looking for a schematic but I cant tell the mechanics of it from vero board layouts. ( iwish I wasnt such a visual person). Any one have a clue? ( its a rhetorical question, I know Renegadrian knows...  Wink )

Yeah, more voltage goes to the anodes - if you use my layout here (or follow to get the idea) you see a red wire that gives power to two res (R2-R3) that go to first and second anode (pins 1 and 6) and then on the same line pin 5 (one of the heaters) is connected - to apply different voltages, you can use that very same layout, just connecting pin5 to the +12V and whatever upper voltage you want to that row with the red wire!

zambo

« Reply #1592 on: February 03, 2010, 10:13:44 PM »

HA! I knew you would know the answer! Thanks mister! I have read most of this forum and you are a lot of help to everyone on here. Thank you on behalf of all of us.
I think my next one will be 24 volts at least. Maybe more I'm not sure. I will have to figure out how to regulate the power so I don't get the dreaded hum. I dont think a voltage pump will power three valves together ( and I am considering four ) .   

Renegadrian

Adriano - Rome Italy

« Reply #1593 on: February 04, 2010, 05:35:32 AM »

Thanks for your kind words, I am still a noob but yeah as I've got a little of "already done that" I got some little experience to share and maybe be helpful to someone... icon_redface

Regarding the voltage pump, what you must consider is the current that you need for the tubes...I guess you should start with a 1MA 12V PS - the heaters want 12V/150mA. The current required at the anodes is much less (around 15-20mA, but here I go guessing, following the tube datasheet).
So from the power input, you'd have one wire going to the heaters and one feeding the voltage pump. I dunno how much current can a voltage pump provide, but I guess it's enough to run a couple of circuits...
Read Rick's experience with the 555 smps - as the circuit needs more current, you have to step down a little with voltage, but hell I guess you can be still quite happy to have 150V and not 200V from that smps...

zambo

« Reply #1594 on: February 08, 2010, 08:19:43 PM »

Here is clip of my latest build. They are getting better. Better tone control on this one. Still has scratchy gain pots. Any fixes for that anyone?    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbDJYMAp6Mo

differo

Emir B. the moRe one knoWs, the less one beLieves

« Reply #1595 on: February 12, 2010, 03:28:15 AM »

I just got my hands on a bunch of tubes (mostly 12au7 but some others too) and tried last night in my valvecaster - actually I don't know about you guys but I liked the sound of 12AX7 in my valvecaster! It doesn't differ that much from AU type, its quieter a bit but there is some overdrive to it, well basically it works - I tried ecc84 too that one was no hit - it worked but rather quite with little to no overdrive. What I like with tubes and particularly with this project is that almost everything works Smiley and its wasy to swap and test.

My youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeToneful

Rebote2.5,MXR dist+,DrBoogie,BSIAB2,Ross Compressor&Phaser,MXR EnvFilt &Noise Gate,TS808,Condor CabSim,SansampGT2,Fraverb,Small Clone,TremLune,ValveCaster
volund

« Reply #1596 on: February 12, 2010, 07:40:16 AM »

Hi!

Nice design! built it with first cap at 0,022uF, and using 24v. Ran it with a battery (UPS), not humming at all. 

Tried out some different power supplies, none of them made the same sound.
Anyone know why a power supply for a laptop is making a hi frequent hum? Looked at the current in a oscilloscope, can't see anything.

Thank you all for a grate forum! Made me into a DIY Tube addict!
BlueJay

« Reply #1597 on: February 13, 2010, 12:22:02 PM »

Tried out some different power supplies, none of them made the same sound.
Anyone know why a power supply for a laptop is making a hi frequent hum? Looked at the current in a oscilloscope, can't see anything.

My best guess is that most power supplies for computers and laptops are switched-power supplies, which operate at a high-frequency
tranceracer

Byron K

« Reply #1598 on: February 13, 2010, 01:20:25 PM »

Here is clip of my latest build. They are getting better. Better tone control on this one. Still has scratchy gain pots. Any fixes for that anyone?    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbDJYMAp6Mo

icon_eek The tripple tubber sounds great!
zambo

« Reply #1599 on: February 13, 2010, 06:38:13 PM »

Thanks! I am actualy going to build a 4 tube version so I have more options for clean dirty and lead boost ( still trying to figure out switching on that though ). I have been gigging with the three tube version and getting really positive response from it. I recomend trying it if you are in a hi gain situation. I heard it sounds better than a triple rectifier from the audience  Huh Shocked icon_surprised

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 173 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: