Taking the effects out of an amp and putting them into a pedal.

Started by gijimmbo, December 12, 2007, 06:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gijimmbo

Hey everyone.  This is my first ever post, so bear with me. 

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a problem.
I've got an old Fender Stage 100 DSP head sitting around that i hardly ever use.  i bought it when i didn't really have any effects pedals yet.  I was getting ready to sell it when an idea popped into my head.  Perhaps i could tear it apart and take the effects circuit out and mount it into some kind of small pedal housing (since that is all i ever use it for anyways).  Is this something that is possible and if so would it be extremly hard??  I've built a few simple pedals, tube screamer, ross phaser, ugly face, etc.  and with some skills now under my belt i was thinking it might be do-able.  any help or comments would be awesome. 
thanks for everyones knowledge and patience!!!

Processaurus

Hi, I think it would be bad news.  It is probably an odd shaped pcb (or part of the amp's main PCB), plus it would need a new power supply unless you took the amp's (which would be big and heavy), plus you would need to re wire the pots.  And then the head probably might not work, and could only be used as a flower pot.

I think you could get some nicer, more tweakable digital effects with the money from the head.  Then again, if you don't need the money, it is really nice having a 2nd amp, if the good one ever breaks, or you practice different places and don't want to haul stuff around every time.

gijimmbo

this is true.  thanks for your input.  i think i'll still pop it open just to take a look and see.  you are probably right, but you never know.  i'll pop some pictures up once i get it open.
thanks for the response!