Modding a DOD Flanger

Started by YouAre, December 13, 2007, 05:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YouAre

I just got a dod fx75c flanger. It sounds pretty cool, and never gets tinny or harsh like the newer boss flanger. The only issue i've got with it is that i wish it could "peak" higher. I don't think it has to do with adjusting the depth, because if i go higher with the depth, i get a warbling vibrato effect. Will i have to mod the LFO? Also, does anyone have a schematic?

regards,
murad

runmikeyrun

search for this, i did several mods for mine- one was the warbly vibrato-y super fast speed one and other was a depth one that did indeed give me a higher peak.  Another gave me a strange white noise/scratched record sound at the signal peak.  I don't remember offhand what i modified but the details are in the board through some posts out there, that's where i found them.  Good luck it's a fun pedal to mod but it was tough to fit another pot and another toggle switch in there!!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

YouAre

Quote from: runmikeyrun on December 13, 2007, 07:55:22 PM
search for this, i did several mods for mine- one was the warbly vibrato-y super fast speed one and other was a depth one that did indeed give me a higher peak.  Another gave me a strange white noise/scratched record sound at the signal peak.  I don't remember offhand what i modified but the details are in the board through some posts out there, that's where i found them.  Good luck it's a fun pedal to mod but it was tough to fit another pot and another toggle switch in there!!

man, i just control F-ed "flange" through 31 pages of your post. I found a thread about how you wanted to mess with the depth, but not where to do it on the board, or what component values. man that sucked looking. hah. i'll try again though

CGDARK

Quote from: YouAre on December 13, 2007, 05:42:09 PM
I just got a dod fx75c flanger. It sounds pretty cool, and never gets tinny or harsh like the newer boss flanger. The only issue i've got with it is that i wish it could "peak" higher. I don't think it has to do with adjusting the depth, because if i go higher with the depth, i get a warbling vibrato effect. Will i have to mod the LFO? Also, does anyone have a schematic?

regards,
murad
I modded one with the FX75B schematic (and a little patience). I was looking more depth and feedback trying to emulate the sound of other flangers that I like. If you know how a flanger works it would be easy for you to follow the FX75B schematic and find the equivalent parts on the FX75C. I did it and worked very well. I can help you, but I sold the pedal over a month ago and I don't remember exactly the parts numbers I changed. I can give you a few hints if you want.

CG ;D

YouAre

that would be really helpful. This is my first flanger, and i'm not sure how they work, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

CGDARK

You can ask here or PM me and I'll try to help.

CG ;D

mdh

There are other interested parties as well, so let's keep the public discussion open.  Did these mods involve the minimum delay time, as influenced by the 25pF (at least in the FX75 and FX75B schems) cap between pins 7 & 5 of the MN3101?  Or are we talking more LFO-related stuff here?

YouAre

Quote from: mdh on December 14, 2007, 12:08:47 PM
There are other interested parties as well, so let's keep the public discussion open.  Did these mods involve the minimum delay time, as influenced by the 25pF (at least in the FX75 and FX75B schems) cap between pins 7 & 5 of the MN3101?  Or are we talking more LFO-related stuff here?

agreed

YouAre

i tried increasing and decreasing the cap between pins 5 and 7 of the mn3101 chip to no avail. any other ideas?

CGDARK

For more feedback (for the Van Halen sound in Aint' talkin' 'bout love) and using the FX75B schematic change R36 to 33K or even 22K try to don't go any lower, because of extreme feedback (unless you want that). I don't remember very well but I think in the FX75C is R36 too. Check before you do any changes or try to locate the 47k resistor that goes to the regeneration pot. It is located when you look at the PCB on the upper left. I will be posting more mods as soon as I can locate the schematic I made.

Good luck,

CG ;D

YouAre

thanks for the reply!

i looked on the schematic and found r36, the 47k resistor. I couldn't locate a 47k resistor on the fx75c board, but i found two 22k resistors going to the Regen pot. I tried decreasing them to no avail. Any other ideas?

YouAre

mikeldo

my fx 75b flanger has too much flange! I love the effect but how can I tone it down a bit as far as "effect level". It just seems to dominate. I want is the same amount of flange but I dont want the effect to dominate my sound. I finger pick a gretsch hollow body and I want more than a chorus sometimes. Maybe I'm not adjusting it properly... Any help?

tilze

I just bought one of these from a box of broken pedals. I'm trying to get it working but the person who owned it before me fubbed a repair on it. Does anyone have a picture of the stock guts so I can actually see how to wire it back together? I'm not very good with schematics.

chemosis

does anyone have any other mod ideas other than replacing trimpots. id love to see a super 75b with about 8 or 9 parameters