Dr. Boogey mystery

Started by Subzero, December 14, 2007, 05:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaussmarkov

Quote from: Subzero on December 15, 2007, 04:12:44 PM
I'm talking about the Taiwan Alpha 16mm pots. If the place them next to each other (actually touching each other...) the distance betwin the ceters of their shafts will be exactly 16mm because half of each 16mm pot is 8mm and you have 2 "halves" of a pot betwin the centers.
In the layout, the spacing is 14mm-14.5mm and because of that, you can't use pcb mounted pots because of that. 18mm spacing will let you mount the pots and fit them nicely in a 1590BB box sidways.

i see.  :icon_biggrin:  this is something that you can do in eagle.  load the dr. boogey .brd file.  change the grid for 18mm spacing.  for example, say "grid mm 4.5 2" which shows you a 9mm grid and you can snap to grid at 4.5mm intervals.  now use the MOVE to place the pots wherever you like.

this is one of the basic reasons that i make the eagle layouts available:  so that people can customize to their hearts' content.  another example would be removing the power supply filter, because you like to make that a separate daughter board.  or making the traces thicker.  all you have to do is load my version of the board into eagle and make the changes.  and it allows you to place the components so that you have plenty of space for your switch and whatever else you are putting inside your box.

Quote from: Subzero on December 15, 2007, 04:50:03 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!! ... MYSTERY SOLVED !!!

For some reason, the bridge near C19 and C20, altough bridged on the component side, for some reason was not bridged on the solder side. I threw in a jumper and it fired up immidiatly  ;D ;D
I think the mistake was done at the manufacturer but it might be worth double checking it just in case GM :)

i'm glad you figured this out.  :icon_cool:  i don't see how it could be my layout or CAD files.  as already mentioned, the layout has been verified by many others.  if that jumper failed for you as a trace on the top of your board, probably it was a failure in the fabrication to plate through the via holes so that the connection on the top layer did not connect the island of copper to the ground trace.  i don't know why else that jumper would fail and several others would be alright.

Subzero

Yes ... I believe it was indeed a fabrication error.
Re. the Eagle file, I'm not familier with program at all and I'm afraid to mess things up. Can you possibly update it your self ?
There should be exactly 18mm betwin Lug No. 2 of each pot ...

Thank you all for your help :)

gaussmarkov

Quote from: Subzero on December 15, 2007, 06:07:22 PM
Re. the Eagle file, I'm not familier with program at all and I'm afraid to mess things up. Can you possibly update it your self ?
There should be exactly 18mm betwin Lug No. 2 of each pot ...

Thank you all for your help :)

you are welcome. it's a pleasure.  :icon_biggrin: 

you don't need any familiarity with eagle.  nor do you need the gm libraries.  put the .brd file somewhere on your hard disk,
install the free version of eagle, File>Open>Board..., find your file and there it is.  then click on the MOVE button and use
your mouse to move things around.  then save and send a copy to your friend at the fab house.  :icon_cool:

Subzero

Just one question, How can I measure things there?

gaussmarkov

Quote from: gaussmarkov on December 15, 2007, 05:17:27 PM
change the grid for 18mm spacing.  for example, say "grid mm 4.5 2" which shows you a 9mm grid and you can snap to grid at 4.5mm intervals.  now use the MOVE to place the pots wherever you like.

"snap to grid" means that when you move components around they jump in steps that are determined by a grid of points.  in eagle, you determine the size of the steps with the GRID command.  if you type "grid mm 10 1" then the steps are 10mm long.  the one means that if you make the grid visible with "grid on" or function key 6 (F6) then the visible grid lines will appear every 10mm.

i suggested previously that you use "grid mm 4.5 2" which would mean that the steps would be 4.5mm and you would see grid lines every 9mm (4.5mm x 2).

if you need to know exactly where you are on the board, there is a little box in the upper left-hand corner that tells you the location of your cursor in (x,y) co-ordinates.

i hope this helps, gm

Subzero

Yes it did  :) :)

Thank you very much.