True Grounding Accuracy??? Should a 4pdt switch be used?

Started by aksman, December 17, 2007, 05:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aksman

If i'm building a true bypass loop for a VERY sensitive pedal, how does the grounding effect it?

I feel like to be safe, a 4pdt switch should be used, and not only the inputs should switch, but their related grounding wires should switch too using the 4 poles (2 for signal, 2 for ground).

Is this not necessary?  should all the grounds just be linked by a common wire?   

I'm not really understanding all the grounding stuff i guess.

cloudscapes

I may be wrong but that spells capacitance and thus popping issues to me.  ???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

aksman

I have no clue... is that true?  Please fill me in... is linking all of the ground wires preferred?

Processaurus

It's simpler than you think, you just connect all the grounds together.

One thing to watch out for with true bypass loops and hi gain pedals is that the pedal in the loop will often squeal if the input is left floating, it should instead be connected to ground when bypassed, with the same wiring as a normal 3pdt stompswitch in a pedal, that uses a scheme that grounds the effect input when bypassed.

Also, the send and return wires should be as seperated physically as possible, and use the outer lugs of the 3pdt stompswitch (i'm assuming you are using one?) for the signal and put the LED in the middle row, to keep as much physical seperation as possible. 

Using shielded wire for the input jack to the switch, and the switch to the send jack is a good idea, I've had problems with bypass loops and hi gain pedals oscillating (the output feeding back to the input just by being near each other) without these precautions.