need help building a mute pedal

Started by insomniacboy, December 18, 2007, 03:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insomniacboy

I know this sounds really elementary, but I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me some tips on how to build a simple mute pedal.  I just want it to cut off the signal when it is turned on.  Pretty much the same thing that a guitar tuner does when you turn it on.  It needs to have and led that comes on when it is engaged as well.  I need to build two of them for a keyboard setup.  This is my first project.  Thanks for your help.

Seljer

mute = a switch that connects the wire carrying the signal to ground

Mark Hammer

In guitar amps, when you want to cancel reverb, you simply ground the reverb signal.  You could do the same thing here.  I suppose if you wanted some visual indication, you could use a DPDT stompswitch (or toggle), use one set of contacts to make/lift the ground connection, and the other set of contacts to feed a green (signal on) or red (signal grounded) LED from a 9v battery with a suitable current-limiting resistor.

insomniacboy

I see what you are getting at, and I really like the idea.  Could you elaborate on exactly how I would wire that.  I'm sorry.  I understand signal flow very well, but I am an extreme novice when it comes to electronics.  Thanks.

Papa_lazerous

signal in=================put a switch here=====================signal out

the signal will travel in then through the switch then out, wire the switch so when you stomp it the signal goes instead of to signal out it goes to GND, this will mute it good an proper

you would need a spdt (single pole double throw)  thats 3 contacts the signal in goes on the centre and the signal out goes on one end and the GND on the other.

to make it switchable you need to use a 2pdt (2 pole double throw) now you have 2 rows of 3 contacts side by side, now you connect the + to the centre pole and on the pole adjacent to where the GND connection is you connect the resistor which leads to the LED the electric goes to the LED and then comes out and the other end of the LED connects to the batterys - terminal.  thats as simple as I can explain it as it is simple.

I am at work and cant do drawings. if you ind a picture of a switch you whould be able to sketch it from this.

I recommend you do some reading though :)

CGDARK

Here's a simple mute switch that I have drawn. Happy soldering.

If you have questions let me know.

Good luck,

CG ;D