Using resistors on true bypass switch to reduce pops

Started by sjaltenb, December 18, 2007, 04:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaltenb

I read an article that says:

use a 1m resistor from effect input and effect output connecting to ground.

Does this mean that i just solder a 1m resistor on one side to the Effect in lug and the other side to my copper shielding on my enclosure, and same for the effect out?

Mark Hammer

Maybe.  The most likely case is that there is a cap in the input with a "free end" that will result in popping if it has nowhere to drain off when you are in bypass mode.  Much less likely is a similar sort of "hanging" cap on the output.  It happens, but much less often.  Consequently the first step is to stick a fixed resistor of at least 1M (and it can be more, too) between the input of the circuit and ground.  This assumes there isn't one already.

jakenold

Also, it helps to have good filtering.

Most of the effects I make myself, and the projects I see posted inhere, has a resistor in each end. So the next thing to worry about, is the LED. Many effects I've made had a pop when switched on, because of the inrush current to the LED. A 47uF eletro across the DC jack fixed that. Might be something you could use if the resistors doesn't help.

Plinky

What if you have input and output resistors AND a capacitor/resistor circuit for the LED pop concern and you still get a pop???