Tim Escobedo's gargletron, my way...

Started by foxfire, December 18, 2007, 09:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxfire

i've wanted to do this one for a while now but, couldn't figure out a good perf layout for it even though i did one for Craig Anderton's wah/anti wah. anyway i finally came with a good layout and, through it together tonight. my first build was stock accept for i used a,
1) TL082 for the TL062
2) 50K log pot for the 10K linear
3) mpsa13 for the mpsa18
4) 1n4148's for the diodes
5) i just guessed the input cap's value as it wasn't specified in the schematic.
6) i had to sub some of the resistors and caps for more common parts. no major jumps in value though.

well it worked but didn't sound all that great. so i tried a TL072 with no real difference. i was getting the effect but, i was also getting some bad clipping. so i decided to try a JRC4558D and, ended up with a BC547 in Q1. i also got rid of the diodes. they weren't doing much after all my changes. now it's a pretty clean little filter. it still has some gargle to it. i'm sure i'll end up fiddling with it a bit more like i always do. i like Craig's wah/anti wah but, the bipolar battery thing sucks. now i have this.

~arph

The mpsa13 is a darlington and has a Hfe between 5000 and 10000, which is ten times that of the mpsa18
This explains the clipping you got.

foxfire

Quote from: ~arph on December 19, 2007, 05:08:19 AM
The mpsa13 is a darlington and has a Hfe between 5000 and 10000, which is ten times that of the mpsa18
This explains the clipping you got.

yup, and i also got clipping with a 2n5088. which is why i ended up with the bc547.

~arph

Ah yeah, the BC547 has slightly lower gain than a 5088, but perhaps it helps if you decrease the gain of both opamps proportionally. Eg, changing the 5m feedback with a 2.2M and the 2.2M feedback with a 1M. I have found that some circuits of TE are really ridiculously loud (eg. the punch in the face )

foxfire

Quote from: ~arph on December 19, 2007, 08:38:55 AM
Ah yeah, the BC547 has slightly lower gain than a 5088, but perhaps it helps if you decrease the gain of both opamps proportionally. Eg, changing the 5m feedback with a 2.2M and the 2.2M feedback with a 1M. I have found that some circuits of TE are really ridiculously loud (eg. the punch in the face )

i'll have to try that. thanks for the suggestion.