Switching question: 2 effects, one On/off stompswitch, one selector stomp switch

Started by sjaltenb, December 20, 2007, 11:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaltenb

Ok ya'll im almost done with my Cornish board but i want to make the switching systems a little easier.

One thing I want to do to simplify it all is this:

I have a Muff and RAT on the board, but i will only be using one at a time. Right now i have them both wired to 3PDTs. I would like to wire it as such that one of the switches is an On/OFF for both effects and the other switch selects between the two.

I know I can do this very easily by doing the ON/OFF as a 3PDT and putting the two effects on a DPDT switch, however, I want the LEDs to switch also....that is my only problem in figuring this out.

These two effects are next to each other in the chain so this should be a fairly simple thing to accomplish. However, what if i have two effects which i want to do the exact same thing with, but they are not beside each other in the chain? Does this require a relay?

Thanks!

GibsonGM

Doing the 'flipswitch' isn't too hard, I use 2 3PDT switches for that....1 bypasses, and 1 flips between effect A and B.  Unfortunately I haven't solved the "A" and "B" LEDs staying on after I bypass it, but that's cool, it tells me what is coming when I go from bypass to active!  Doing that with 2 discrete boxes would be different, though.  You'd have to do some kind of switch box with lines to and from each effect.  ("Looper"?)

I suppose it could be done via relays, with another (maybe rotary) switch to choose which ones are active.   I'd almost rather re-build the 'middle' effect into one box with whatever comes before it!  Too many cords....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

MikeH

I just whipped this up.  This will turn off the LEDs when you bypass, if you want to.  Other leg of the LEDs goes to V+.  Obviously, throw a resistor in there somewhere.

"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

sjaltenb

Excellent! Thanks!

Of course, now I have to decide if I want them to turn off.... Gibson made a good point about knowing whats coming up... But I think i will stick with my original plan..

Could I use an LED that changes from one color to the next...say Green if in que and red once the bypass is turned on?

MikeH

You could have 1 LED for on\off and 2 other leds (or one bi-color) that indicates which effect is engaged.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

nico13

Quote from: MikeH on December 21, 2007, 10:52:52 AM
I just whipped this up.  This will turn off the LEDs when you bypass, if you want to.  Other leg of the LEDs goes to V+.  Obviously, throw a resistor in there somewhere.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but I think the FX ins and outs are swapped on your schematic.

I was searching the forum to switch between 2 different fuzzes in one box and found it.