Stacked Metal Film Caps at Mouser

Started by zombiwoof, December 21, 2007, 12:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombiwoof

Keeley talks of using the stacked metal film caps in his mods, I was looking for them at Mouser (I know about the ones at Digikey), and I couldn't find them.  Are the Metallized Polycarbonate Film Capacitors they have stacked film caps?

Al

dano12

The Panasonic ECQV and ECQB series are stacked metal film caps. The are the "brownies" that everyone in the world seems to use and I'm pretty sure they are the ones you can get from smallbear.

Digikey has 'em also, here's an example:

It's funny, Banzai says something to the effect that the Panasonic EC* series are considered to be the best film caps you can get, and Smallbear lists them as "better quality than the 'greenie'".

I guess it has become conventional wisdom at this point :)

zombiwoof

Quote from: dano12 on December 21, 2007, 09:18:41 AM
The Panasonic ECQV and ECQB series are stacked metal film caps. The are the "brownies" that everyone in the world seems to use and I'm pretty sure they are the ones you can get from smallbear.

Digikey has 'em also, here's an example:

It's funny, Banzai says something to the effect that the Panasonic EC* series are considered to be the best film caps you can get, and Smallbear lists them as "better quality than the 'greenie'".

I guess it has become conventional wisdom at this point :)

My understanding is that the brown Pansonic caps that Smallbear sells (which I have bought from him) are just better quality Polyester Film caps.  I think that the Panasonic stacked metal films that you can get from Digikey are red, at least the ones I've seen.  I've gotten some of the Stacked Metal Film from Radio Shack that only come in two values there, and they are red or blue, but I don't know what brand they are.
Keeley suggests in an article that the stacked metal film are available from Mouser, but when I did searches there on "stacked metal film capacitor" I got nothing, and in looking further through their catalog the only think I found that sounded like it might be them were these polycarbonate caps, and I wondered if they were the same thing.

At least, does anyone know if polycarbonate caps are good, because I found some in higher values that I need that are pretty small (?).

Thanks,
Al