Guitar wires Troubles

Started by petemoore, September 19, 2003, 12:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

The neck pickup is got dull sounding and the output has fallen off also.
 I know this could be a thousand things and not much here to go on but maybe there's something that commonly happens to cause this...looks like I need to do some guitar de-buggging again...any Ideas where I should start?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

D Wagner

Pete,

Check for a broken or loose ground (or hot wire).  It is usually at the pickup bobbin itself, and is easy to reattach, if you have a fine enough tip on your soldering iron.

Check the control cavity for loose or detached wires, too.  If that isn't it, check the pickup with a DMM, and compare the resistance to the good pickup to find if there is a bad winding.  If so, then it is bad news;  time to rewind or replace.

Good luck.

Derek

Peter Snowberg

Check your selector switch and make sure the contacts are clean. I had low output from one guitar last week and it turned out tobe a dirty knife switch.

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Brett Clark

Is the pickup still set at the right distance from the strings? This is a simple problem that can cause the effects you describe.

petemoore

well the neck pup ...it's very close to the strings now...however this compensation is inadequate as much of the highs are missing still.
 I will try all these suggestions [My neck pickup used to be engaged much of the time] thanks for them ... That's GOTta get fixed.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.