Trouble with my Boss CS2

Started by sjaltenb, December 27, 2007, 09:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaltenb

I had my CS2 mounted in my cornish board and powered up and working great just a few days ago. then i had a Short on the board involving a piece of shielding lodged up under the pots of the Dynacomp which somehow shorted out the whole board. I was...and am...using a One Spot adaptor to power everything, but it is running to a power/ground distribution board inside my unit. When the short was there...the OneSpot would power on/off/on/off repeately trying to come up to voltage (as explained by R.G.) and left me with a ton of choppy noise with each pedal, including the CS2. Once i found the short, everything else powered back up no problem, no damage, even my CE2...which is powered the same way. Also, it is important to note that at one point after this all happened, i DID get the LED to light back up, but then it went down again...

As i have not yet wired a momentary switch for the CS2, i was simply touching the correct wire to hte enclsoure which would turn the unit on and light up the LED. The unit is wired to a 3PDT switch using the inputs and outputs, and all the grounds that were orginally wired to the input jack are simply wired to the star ground distribution.

Now, after the short, i cant get the unit to turn on. No LED, nothing. When the 3PDT is turned on, i get silence. I have checked all connections etc. Could it have somehow fried?? I just

Jobet

Check first if it will still work with a battery.

If so, then we can proceed with the elimination process.

I don't have a schem of the CS2, but if it's anything like the CS3, there is only one component in the power supply section that could be suspect. Its that resistor 220 ohms that is in series with what seems  to be a polarity reverse protection diode. If that goes, the entire circuit will lose its grounding.

So to check if that's the case, take a ground wire from your star grounding and with the power on, touch it to something on the CS2 that is connected to the chassis e.g. one of the jacks or the mounting nut of one of the pots. If the pedal turns on, then there's your problem.

Oh well. That's my best analysis on that anyway. I'm looking at the schem of the CS3, and if any of the other components short out, they will turn off the entire pedalboard and not just the pedal. But since that's not the case, I guess its a local problem.

Maybe one of the foil pads fried ? Maybe you could venture to look. That happenned to one of my client's DS1's already when he applied the wrong kind of power. Took with it the polarity reversal diode too.

sjaltenb

It took me forever to get back home and pull the board out and troubleshoot. This did NOT solve the problem...can someone else help me out!?!?