Anyone have the Bosstone CA version schematic?

Started by John Lyons, December 31, 2007, 11:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Lyons

Anyone have the Bosstone CA version schematic?

Thanks

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

tcobretti

I think Andy posted these originally.  I've heard it is great, but I am not a fan of diode clippers in general.  Have you built the Bosstone TN?  How do you like it?

brett

Hi
the version of the Bosstone with the pair of 18k (sometimes 22k ?) collector resistors sounds excellent.

Here is that schematic by RG Keen at geofex.com :
http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/bosstone.gif

In that form, the first transistor gives high-gain and the second is a low gain (2) buffer. 

IMO this sounds best when Q1 has a low hFE (100 to 250), as would have been in the original.  TIP or BD139/140 devices spring to mind.  And 3 (rather than 2) x 1N4148s add tubish harmonics.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

John Lyons

Travis
Yes, the SHO/TN version is a ripper! I put in a little variable filtering (Supidly Wonderful Tone Control ...thanks mark H !)  to add versatility. Very cool circuit. Bypassing the diodes has a good lound as well. loud and heavy.
Thanks for the schematic. I did see that one before but for some reason I wasn't sure it was correct (or final).

Brett
I used 2n2222 for Q1 and 2N3906 for Q2. I have some other old transistors that I'll have to try in there (thanks for the recommendations)
I used an asymetrical 1N4001 clipper set and it does sound nice.

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

tcobretti

Brett, thanks for the tips!

John, that is the only schem I have seen for the Bosstone CA.  I seem to remember that Andy loved the CA, and posted a PCB layout for the CA followed by a BMP tone stack.

I'll have to build these.  I just watched the 'Fuzz' movie, and a guy who runs a vintage gear shop in LA and rents gear to the stars recommends it very highly.  It got me wondering why I never put one of these together.

foxfire

i breadboarded one a few days ago using the schematic over at fuzz central. i like it a lot. mine had a really nice growl. now i'll have to try this schematic.

John Lyons

I think you'll like it Travis. It's not so much of a straight diode clipper as the diodes mainly clamp the level and add a little more fuzz to the signal. Without the diodes is sounds pretty good and has monster growl.

I always though that Andy's JBT was the Nashville one, I'll have to look at it closer...

EDIT: Yes, both Andy's are of the nashville version.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Sir H C

If you search I think there is a thread on the CA and Nashville versions that I have schematic'ed.

tcobretti

In addition to your recommendation, I read some comments in the archive that make it sound like something I'd like, so I'll definitely give it a try in the near future.

mac

I replaced both 560K (Geo's schem) with a 1M-B pot, the 0.022uf cap to the center lug.
Also used a 50K pot instead of the 18K to Vcc to set bias.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

John Lyons

Mac
I came across your post with those modifications.
The 1M replacing the 560Ks to.02 sounds interesting, I'll have to try them since I have it on the breadboard now.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

mac

John,
IIRC I put the pot because I was not happy with the 0.022uf. Instead of the pot you could try different cap values or no cap.

I began tweaking a cap here, a resistor there, and suddenly the bosstone was similar to a bazz fuss...  ;D

mac

John Lyons

Mac
There is much more gain and "growl" with the cap connected to ground.
The octave overtone isn't there without the cap either. This tends to come through more with a larger input cap, .1uf or so.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

mac

Yeap, the cap and resistor are a filter that alters the feedback signal. Without the cap this effect is gone. Maybe I was looking something different at the time. I´m going to breadboard it again.

mac