-- LOVETONE effects clones thread. Schematics, layouts, building info...

Started by c101aviojet, October 02, 2007, 05:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougH

Here's my folder with my twist on the Brown Source idea: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/v/DougH/ToneSource/ I have a sound clip at home. I'll hunt it up an upload it.

I know this is an old thread but I just want to say that I vehemently disagree with the comment that the Brown Source has a "fake bland" sound. Like many "old school" style effects, it depends on the amp you are using with it and how it is set up. Think of the Brown Source like a Rangemaster. If the amp has the goods, the Rangemaster helps it give it up. The Brown Source works the same way, and has more tonal options and flexibility than the Rangemaster. No, they are not the same thing and don't do the same things. But they should be used the same way, hence the comparison. If your amp has a little dirt, or can overdrive easily, the Brown Source can sound pretty nice and add a lot of harmonic detail to the amp sound. If it's a pristine clean amp with gobs of headroom, the Brown Source probably won't sound that interesting.

It is a quirky "design", is probably more complex than it should be, and I don't necessarily consider it a good design from an electronics standpoint. But it is what it is and if you like to twiddle knobs there are a lot of fun sounds you can find with it.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

beatnik

In another post someone was saying that the tone selector doesn't work very good in the original brown source version.
Is your Tone Source version improved on the tone range?

Thanks (and sorry for my bad english... :-X)

DougH

The first 3 positions of the tone selector control the amount of bass IF the tone control is turned up to the treble side. If the tone control is turned down to 50% or less, the tone selector will not have a noticeable effect in those positions. I suspect the tone selector was intended as a way of allowing you to get more treble without thinning out the sound. The tone control is a basic Big Muff Pi tone control topology, and as you turn "up" the level of treble, the bass turns "down". I would guess the switch was implemented as a way of compensating for the loss of bass. So with a darker amp I find the tone selector more useful, as I tend to run the tone control turned up to the treble side more in this situation. With a brighter amp, I tend to run the tone control with less treble. In this case the tone selector does not do much, but it doesn't need to as there is plenty of bass response when the tone control is turned down anyway. (The BMP tone control also turns the bass "up" as you turn the treble "down".)

In the Brown Source, the 4th switch position is "off" and it bypasses the tone control network to provide more overall gain. I didn't find this particularly interesting for my purposes. I had accidentally stumbled across a simple mod that, with a bridge pickup, produces a mid scoop sound similar to a Gibson or Tele with both pickups turned on and in-phase. I call it the "twank" setting and it is a lot of fun to play with. It adds more tonal dimension and flexibility to the pedal than the "off" setting IMO, so I implemented that instead of the bypass. It is a lot of fun to rotate the switch while you are playing, the first 3 positions give you variations on what I would call a "Marshall" sound - then you hit number 4 and all the sudden sound like Keith Richards and you want to start playing Stones riffs. :icon_wink: (I'm not a big Stones fan, but I just thought it was fun... :icon_wink:)

c101aviojet

So Doug, the difference between your Tone Source and the Brown Source is the "twank" position instead of the "off" one, isn't it?
If you don't mind, I'll add that to the Wiki too. ;)

beatnik

Many thanks for the delucidation, doug.
I dont know what version should i prefer, i hope you will upload a sample of the tone source (especially the twank mode)  :icon_smile:
to help my decision

DougH

Quote from: c101aviojet on January 03, 2008, 09:43:54 AM
So Doug, the difference between your Tone Source and the Brown Source is the "twank" position instead of the "off" one, isn't it?
If you don't mind, I'll add that to the Wiki too. ;)

Soundwise, that's probably the main difference.

I simplified the circuit somewhat too and cleaned up some stuff I felt was unnecessary: I dumped the input buffer and converted the gain stage to non-inverting with a reasonable Zin. I also deleted the output low pass filter as the Fc was > 20khz anyway (IIRC).