Suggestions for an enclosure for Stage Center Reverb ?

Started by Krinor, January 03, 2008, 06:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krinor

Hi,

I just got a reverb tank from Smallbear today and was really surprised at how big it was. I hadn't bothered to check it when I ordered it.
I was just windering if anyone has built a seperate reverb unit like the Stage Center Reverb, and how you boxed it up ?

fixr1984

I made the Stage center reverb but I didnt "box" it up.
I installed it into my Epi VJ amp but that's probably not a whole
lot of help to you. One suggestion I could give it to etch the charge pump on the
same board as the reverb layout. to me it is less messy looking. Unless space is an issue.

If I did make another one to use in pedal form, I think I would just get a
plastic enclosure from RS and just mount it to the tank.

petemoore

I put the circuit in a box, a board under the box and reverb, the board is a symmetrical shape, but the RACO box isn't near as long as the tank...it went right beside the tank and has to wires coming [stayed to the box so the solder joints arent' stressed] out of the box each with an RCA plug for the input//output of the tank, box of course also has signal input // output jacks..
  So it's not too ugly and about as small as possible. I thought about making an enclosure for it...decided I liked compact/easy instead of> larger/nicer looking / more work...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

mitzrecords

any other suggestions? im thinking about putting it in the old suitcase i found. and pedal out.

or just moutinging in my amp would be better,,,i dunno.

Uma Floresta

solderman

Quote from: Krinor on January 03, 2008, 06:16:30 PM
Hi,

I just got a reverb tank from Smallbear today and was really surprised at how big it was. I hadn't bothered to check it when I ordered it.
I was just windering if anyone has built a seperate reverb unit like the Stage Center Reverb, and how you boxed it up ?

Hi
I tried both the Stage Center Reverb and the Forrest Cook Spring Reverb from gaussmarkov.net and the Forrest Cook Spring Reverb is far better in my upinion.http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/circuits/spring-reverb/ but if you allready have your Stage Center Reverb ready you can do both and judge for your self.

The Forrest Cook Spring Reverb is actualy my favourite build. A real hardware spring reverb is the only way to go if you want the true sound of a spring reverb. This little box really does the trick and adds grate to the sound. The design is so well made that there is absolutly no tonal change what so ever to the original sound. You can allso control the dwell witch is quite unusual on this kind of build. I have connected it to an accutronics type 8 (9" 3 sprigns) that I have mounted in the bottom of a 1X12 speaker cabinet that i have build to use with my Orange Tiny Terror Amp.  Originaly I wanted to use a type 4 (17" 2+2 spring) byt my speaker enclosure was 1/4 inch to schort to fit the 17" type >:( But this one sonds nice as well. I have sound samples of it on my site.

//Solderman
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

Nasse

How about like Fender reverb unit, like amp top cabinet, or tape echo unit
  • SUPPORTER

chi_boy

I was thinking about a rever too and considered mounting the pan to the underside of a pedal board. I was also keeping an eye out for a tube reverb unit. Something with sub mini tubes would be nice.
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

solderman

Quote from: chi_boy on March 18, 2009, 01:38:30 PM
I was thinking about a rever too and considered mounting the pan to the underside of a pedal board.

Actually, its a bad idea to mount the tank any where where it can be kicked, shocked or moved since this will "upset" the springs and the will produce a very ugly spoinky noise.
Best place is some ware heavy and steady that does not move. Also the tank is made to be mounted in a certain way, (eg horizontal opening down) see accutrinics site. They will not work well if they are mounted wrong.

www.soldersound.com

axg20202

I have my Stage Center board and spring tank housed inside my 2x12 extension cab so that it can be run off the FX loop of my amp head which sits on top of the cab. I installed a large amp cabinet socket plate in the back of the cab, into which I installed jack sockets for the send/return and the DC input, and obviously the input to the speakers. The panel also carries the control pots of the reverb, which I find is pretty set-and-forget so I don't mind having them round the back of the cab.

I built the SC reverb circuit into a hammond alu enclosure - I bought the kind with a flanged lid so that it could be screwed to the inside of the speaker cabinet near the socket plate. The control pots are on short flying leads from this box, running to the plate on the back of the cab. The tank itself isn't fixed in place because I have it inside a tank bag. It just sits in the bottom of the cabinet.

mitzrecords

sorry this is pretty dumb question.

it says vertical connectors down mount for Stage center reverb.
if i put it on vertically, connectors(rca females) will be on sides, no? not down.

am i missing something here? i guess english is not my first language but... :icon_redface:

solderman

Quote from: mitzrecords on March 22, 2009, 04:14:41 AM
sorry this is pretty dumb question.

it says vertical connectors down mount for Stage center reverb.
if i put it on vertically, connectors(rca females) will be on sides, no? not down.

am i missing something here? i guess english is not my first language but... :icon_redface:

I don't know if i have understood the question correctly but the mount goes for the reverb tank check here and look at digit #7 http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/Type1.htm
//Solderman

www.soldersound.com

mitzrecords

thanx solderman.

mine is C and it goes vertical connectors down. but if i put the reverb tank vertically, then connectors come on either sides. not down.

this makes me confused...

Uma Floresta

It really does seem that GZ just posts this stuff to make conservatives look stupid, ala Echoes. But I think GZ really IS that dumb. He's not faking.

mitzrecords

Quote from: Uma Floresta on March 23, 2009, 09:29:59 AM
It really does seem that GZ just posts this stuff to make conservatives look stupid, ala Echoes. But I think GZ really IS that dumb. He's not faking.

???

Uma Floresta

Ha, I posted that in the wrong forum obviously. I have now pwned myself. :o

jefe

:icon_lol:

Come on, is GZ really that dumb, or is he faking it?

Uma Floresta

Quote from: jefe on March 23, 2009, 01:33:35 PM
:icon_lol:

Come on, is GZ really that dumb, or is he faking it?

No, he's really that dumb. Apparently I am too. :p

solderman

Quote from: mitzrecords on March 23, 2009, 08:21:08 AM
thanx solderman.

mine is C and it goes vertical connectors down. but if i put the reverb tank vertically, then connectors come on either sides. not down.

this makes me confused...
I Think they mean that horizontal is down on the floor or up in the roof. vertical is horizontal on the side wall and then with connectors down (yours) or upp. Else the short side upp or down with connectors ither side if mounted on the side wall, I guess

//Solderman   

www.soldersound.com

mitzrecords

thanx solderman!

??? you guys calling me dumb? well...if so, pretty rude. english is not my first language and i misunderstood.