Let's see those pedalboards!!

Started by DanielWong, January 04, 2008, 11:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben N

I use a 1-Spot, it powers my whole board, and no problems with noise, except for a Line 6 Chorus that just refused to play well with others no matter what I powered it with--and a battery is NOT an option for that hungry puppy. I do run my Headrush off its own wallwart, but really only because I keep it separate from the pedalboard. If I ever get around to building a mini-board for the Headrush (with mic preamp/splitter, buffered mini-mixer and stereo vol pedal) I'll probably get another 1-Spot for the whole mess. It's not a VL power supply, but it is a heck of a lot cheaper. BTW, if you are interested in building a super-isolated, multi-tap, multi-voltage, regulated monster PS, take a look at the special purpose transformers that Weber sells (about $30, IIRC, although total cost for such a project would probably be more like $60-80).
  • SUPPORTER

Taylor

Quote from: Valoosj on April 13, 2009, 09:15:46 AM
Finally finished my board.

Hey, very nice and thoughtfully done board, but this confuses me. Why does your board have a speaker output? Is there a mini amp hidden in there somwhere?

Valoosj

The head and speaker outputs are there for my talkbox. That pedal has to be put in between the two.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

solderman

The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

iaresee

solderman: that's got to take the cake for density. I think the only that that'd make it really that much sweeter is perhaps minature connectors instead of those bulky old 1/4" jobbies. Nice man.

Here's my latest board:

tranceracer

Quote from: iaresee on May 15, 2009, 09:58:32 PM
solderman: that's got to take the cake for density. I think the only that that'd make it really that much sweeter is perhaps minature connectors instead of those bulky old 1/4" jobbies. Nice man.

Yea, Sweet mini board!  Neat to see all your 1590 enclosures wired up!   8)

Miniature connectors would really make that board compact!  :icon_eek:
You'd have to play barefoot to hit each button w your big toe.   :D

solderman

Quote from: tranceracer on May 16, 2009, 12:40:41 AM

Yea, Sweet mini board!  Neat to see all your 1590 enclosures wired up!   8)

Miniature connectors would really make that board compact!  :icon_eek:
You'd have to play barefoot to hit each button w your big toe.   :D

Thanks
Well I'm working on a "mind controlled" stomp switch. The only drawback is that you have to keep your thoghts from runnin of.... ;D

or you could buy a pair of those

The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

Br4d13y

just an update, my board has changed a bit since it was last posted

freedom is the freedom to say 2+2=4

kawayanstrat

FlyingZ

Quote from: solderman on May 15, 2009, 07:01:27 PM
Lets come together...

If you made them snap together I would be even more impressed.

Taylor

That's actually a pretty boss idea. Having something like this would actually make more space inside the enclosure, plus it would take up less space on your pedalboard. Just make the input a jack and the output a plug.

Of course, you'd have to have a designated last pedal so you could plug a cable into it to go to your amp. Hmm...

Ben N

Here's my latest board:

Interesting arrangement, footswitch-wise, Ian. Do you attack your pedalboard from both sides?
  • SUPPORTER

Br4d13y

i think he can do that because he has that massive looper in the front there
freedom is the freedom to say 2+2=4

iaresee

Quote from: Ben N on June 08, 2009, 09:58:01 AM
Interesting arrangement, footswitch-wise, Ian. Do you attack your pedalboard from both sides?

Quote from: Br4d13y on June 08, 2009, 10:19:33 AM
i think he can do that because he has that massive looper in the front there

Br4d13y got it -- the looper frees me from having to worry about where switches are on effects. I'm boxing up a fuzz now: no switch at all. Just in, out and an always-on indicator LED so I get visual confirmation the effect has power running to it. All my switching is done at the Loopholic.

You want the back story? I was watching a Star Trek movie marathon while I was soldering the cables for the board and it was bugging me -- every time the Klingons and the Enterprise met in space it was head on. Why head on? They have complete freedom to engage any way at all, but they always line up head on. And then, as I was struggling trying to route some cables and power, I realized -- why am I trying to line up all my pedals like I'm going to be stomping on them? The looper frees me of dimensional constraints when it comes to laying out the board. See the crazy stuff Star Trek inspires? :)

This board is actual on its way out. I picked up some wood this weekend to build a new board that works better with the looper. I'll likely run all the dirt pedals upside down like that and with their switches obscured by a second tier in the back where the effects that have tap input switches will live.

Mark Hammer

Solderman,

Since you clearly aim for a small footprint, and since you have a number of pedals patched in series, I will bring to your attention a nifty tip that was in POLYPHONY so many years ago.

A reader noted that the side-mounted jacks on MXR pedals (all using a 1590B enclosure) were all at the same height.  So, what he did was remove the output jack from several pedals and run the bushing of the input jack on the next pedal through the output hole on the preceding pedal, attaching the nut to the bushing inside the preceding pedal.  In other words, two pedals became attached to each other, rather than patched via an external cable, by using the bushing as a physical link.

The output lead, rather than going to a jack and cable, would now be fed through the passageway to the appropriate lug of the input jack on the next pedal in line.  With the holes all at the same height, the multi-pedal became one solid mass.

If course, with the pedals that close, you'd probably need even pointier shoes to hit the switches with any accuracy! :icon_lol:

jacobyjd

This was the first thing I thought of--what a perfect application for them! (There are other choices besides Monster that have the same setup)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MCLOM/
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

ibodog

This is my attempt at cutting down the space between boxes and making the wiring easier.  Allows a lot more room for the circuit inside.  I needed to do this because I can't do without the 2-Tone but I wanted to keep the pedal board from getting any bigger.  Easy stomping for the front row except for the Klon and FF/Rangemaster.  Probably will set the Klon on the far right side.  Easy to swap pedals out of the front row, too.  Just tip up the front edge and then pull the jacks out the back when the velcro comes loose.  I want to rig up something to lift the back row up 2-3" to make it easier to stomp without hitting the front row's knobs.

FlyingZ

ibodog

Bottom left is a Bad Cat 2-Tone dual channel preamp.  It's a slightly improved version of the Matchless Hot Box.  It is the "front end" of my amp.  Delay and verb go after that and then back to either a '64 Princeton or a Visual Sound Workhorse Stallion.

DWBH

Do you use it to overdrive your amps, or to create distortion, or simply to warm up the sound?