Let's see those pedalboards!!

Started by DanielWong, January 04, 2008, 11:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibodog

The 2-Tone is an amp's preamp with a clean and OD channel and 2 12AX7 tubes.  I set the amps to a sort of dull or "normal" sounding warm/clean tone.  So 1/2 my amp sits on the floor at my feet. :)  No need to run long fx loop cables back to the pedal board, either.

solderman

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 08, 2009, 11:53:53 AM
Solderman,

Since you clearly aim for a small footprint, and since you have a number of pedals patched in series, I will bring to your attention a nifty tip that was in POLYPHONY so many years ago.

A reader noted that the side-mounted jacks on MXR pedals (all using a 1590B enclosure) were all at the same height.  So, what he did was remove the output jack from several pedals and run the bushing of the input jack on the next pedal through the output hole on the preceding pedal, attaching the nut to the bushing inside the preceding pedal.  In other words, two pedals became attached to each other, rather than patched via an external cable, by using the bushing as a physical link.

The output lead, rather than going to a jack and cable, would now be fed through the passageway to the appropriate lug of the input jack on the next pedal in line.  With the holes all at the same height, the multi-pedal became one solid mass.

If course, with the pedals that close, you'd probably need even pointier shoes to hit the switches with any accuracy! :icon_lol:
Thanks for the idee. I have seen back to back mounted plugs like this I have planed to buy to test  ;)

Or
;D
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

Ben N

My experience is that rigid connectors are not so good for your jacks, and if your jacks are pcb-mounted, :((.
  • SUPPORTER

andrew_k

Scruffie

Would that be a modded Daphon pedal of some sorts up in the top right... whats in there?

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Ben N on June 08, 2009, 06:15:28 PM
My experience is that rigid connectors are not so good for your jacks, and if your jacks are pcb-mounted, :((.
If the pedals are from the same manufacturer, or if the plugs are offset, it's not too much of a source of risk.  I make my own offset male-to-male adapters by buying cheap rt-angle phone plugs and soldering/screwing them to each other, such that each serves as the cover for the other.

The POLYPHONY article sidesteps plugs entirely.

andrew_k

Quote from: Scruffie on June 08, 2009, 08:47:35 PM
Would that be a modded Daphon pedal of some sorts up in the top right... whats in there?

Yup. It's a Rat, specifically an FKR  - http://leftjustified.net/lab/rat-distortion/

Scruffie

Aha Genius, i'm actually in the proccess of modding your unwitting donor into hopefully a better delay... might be a lost cause but it's basically a DM-2 in there so we shall see (hate it's bypass, adds a nasty colour... i'm not a true bypass addict but it would be nice to do it to this) If it fails... it may have to take a simmilar turn for the better...

andrew_k

Please post any findings re: improving the delay circuit. I still have the guts from mine

JJ Gabor

Ok, so I have far too many pedals....  Even more since i started building a couple of years ago.

Br4d13y

freedom is the freedom to say 2+2=4

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: Br4d13y on June 09, 2009, 11:15:05 AM
wow..... 3 moogs........

And a sampling of hens teeth!

Harmonic Percolater!!!

I was wondering if you wanted to trade my HM-2 for the Harmonic Percolater, but then I saw that you had one of those as well! ;)
Try a little tenderness.

LEROY

The chain is:
Guitar volume in a box
2 loop true bypass box

Loop 1 (clean)
Boss CS-2 comp
Boss AW-3 auto wah
Boss CH-1 chorus
MXR Phase 90
TU-2 tuner

Loop2 (dirty)
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix wah
Foxrox Octron
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fulltone Fat Boost 2
Foxrox Hot Silicon Fuzz
Modded TS 808 clone with Boost

MXR noise gate/ line driver
T-Rex Replica delay

SOUND CLIP!
01 Don_t Make Me Beg 1.mp3 - 3.63MB

Thomeeque

Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Thomeeque

Quote from: solderman on June 08, 2009, 05:20:48 PM
Thanks for the idee. I have seen back to back mounted plugs like this I have planed to buy to test  ;)

Or
;D

If you would have same problem to get these as I had, you can try this (I use only the direct one, the "axle offset" one was just quick experiment to see, how it would fit):

:) T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

The French connection

Quote from: Thomeeque on June 11, 2009, 06:50:39 AM

If you would have same problem to get these as I had, you can try this (I use only the direct one, the "axle offset" one was just quick experiment to see, how it would fit):

:) T.

Clever!

Dan
I know, but the pedal i built does not boost...it just increases volume!
My picture files:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/French+connection/
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z4/letournd/Pedal/

Thomeeque

petemoore

That looks like the 2 plates/screws would be the weak point, and weaker than the jacks in most boxes...perfect ! [I like the idea of at least some flexibility between separate boxes jacks.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

musiclikscreams

how well do the offset ones work?
and where do u get those ends?

Thomeeque

Quote from: musiclikscreams on June 11, 2009, 11:17:42 AM

how well do the offset ones work?

The offset one was just fit test prepared for this photo (I had no need for such a plug yet), it's not even wired inside ;) - but I believe, it would work just fine (even it's interior is not 100% shielded, it would be IMO shielded enough).. if I would plan to use it and rely on it, I would probably fill it with some kind of glue before screwing it (in original meaning of this word ;)) together.

Quote from: musiclikscreams on June 11, 2009, 11:17:42 AM
and where do u get those ends?

These are very common and very cheap jacks here (I buy them usually here :))

T.