Let's see those pedalboards!!

Started by DanielWong, January 04, 2008, 11:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben N

Quote from: Thomeeque on July 21, 2011, 04:12:13 AM

For pedal which requires AC he has no other option, does he?

T.
A separate p/s would be the option.

Although I don't recall having come across anything with 9VAC requirement--12VAC is more common, AFAIK.
  • SUPPORTER

Thomeeque

Quote from: Ben N on July 21, 2011, 09:11:28 AM

How? I don't see any difference between both DC and AC (galvanically isolated!) supply voltages going from the same unit (if done right of course) versus going from two separate units (in relation with amptramp's statement). T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Ben N

Quote from: Thomeeque on July 21, 2011, 09:44:47 AM(if done right of course)
Aye, there's the rub, as Shakespeare would say. All I'm saying is that two separate units involves no great expertise or risk, as opposed to doing a 9vac output on a p/s designed for DC outputs. Not elegant and not very DIY, but it is an alternative.
  • SUPPORTER

wavley

Quote from: Ben N on July 21, 2011, 09:11:28 AM

T.

Although I don't recall having come across anything with 9VAC requirement--12VAC is more common, AFAIK.

The Boomerang+ Phrase Sampler is 9VAC, not sure what else is.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

SISKO

Quote from: wavley on July 21, 2011, 11:03:44 AM
The Boomerang+ Phrase Sampler is 9VAC, not sure what else is.

Digitech Whammy and XP series
--Is there any body out there??--

space_ryerson

Quote from: space_ryerson on July 20, 2011, 05:56:51 PM
Do you know of any existing DIY projects that do 9VAC as well? I haven't ventured very far into the world of AC power and transformers, so I haven't figured out how to add a 9VAC out to one of the existing DIY power supply projects that I know of.

You just need to add another transformer inside or you can use multi-winding transformer for your PSU with one winding dedicated to this output.

You should start by creating list of voltages (and currents) you need (now and in the "known" future) for your pedalboard and then design PSU according to this list (and pedal topology - you may or may not need isolated voltages for some /groups of/ pedals). Don't hesitate to start new topic in "Building your own stompbox" section for further discussion.

Quote from: amptramp on July 20, 2011, 09:28:11 PM
I would beware of sending AC directly to a supply or pedal that rectifies it.

T.
My pedalboard is pretty simple these days. Everything is 9VDC, except my Digitech Whammy II. That's why I'm asking about 9VAC. I've use two different PSU's as a result. It's not that big of a deal to plug in two PSU's; but it would be nice to have only one! I'll get working on this, and take a re-read of RG's power supply articles.

amptramp

If you are forced by circumstances to supply AC from one box to another where it is rectified, you should use shielded twisted pair or two separate coax cables with grounded shields for the power line to avoid radiated emissions.  The wire separation forms a loop which has inductance and acts as an antenna.  Twisting minimizes the loop area and each twist radiates the opposite polarity of the adjacent one so that radiated magnetic field averages to nearly zero in the far field.  Shielding means that the electric field is not seen outside of the cable.  You may find that you have no trouble, but you may interfere with other equipment such as wireless microphones (although these are normally UHF) or nearby electrical equipment, or your noise floor comes up a bit.

If the AC is not rectified (e.g. used only for tube heaters) then there is not as much of a problem since with a linear load, no new frequencies are created.

Thomeeque

Quote from: Ben N on July 21, 2011, 10:53:58 AM
Quote from: Thomeeque on July 21, 2011, 09:44:47 AM(if done right of course)
Aye, there's the rub, as Shakespeare would say.

No rub, "if done right of course" was meant more like if nothing really stupid is done.

Quote from: Ben N on July 21, 2011, 10:53:58 AM
All I'm saying is that two separate units involves no great expertise or risk, as opposed to doing a 9vac output on a p/s designed for DC outputs.

OK, example of the PSU with 9VDC output:

Same PSU with added 9VAC output, alt. 1:

Same PSU with added 9VAC output, alt. 2:

Big deal..

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Thomeeque

Quote from: space_ryerson on July 21, 2011, 06:22:45 PM
My pedalboard is pretty simple these days. Everything is 9VDC, except my Digitech Whammy II. That's why I'm asking about 9VAC.

Digitech Whammy II PSU output specs are 9VAC 780mA. Easiest way is to simply add transformer with same specs inside the PSU box and just share MAINS (see alt. 1 above).

I've use two different PSU's as a result. It's not that big of a deal to plug in two PSU's; but it would be nice to have only one! I'll get working on this, and take a re-read of RG's power supply articles.

Good! As I said, don't hasitate to start new thread about it if you need any help.

Good luck, T.

Ben N

Alt 1 is the same thing as two separate PSUs; alt 2 requires a transformer with the correct secondaries. Not a huge big deal, just a requirement.
  • SUPPORTER

egasimus

IMO the greatest danger about having 9VAC and 9VDC in the same unit is the human factor. Having them in separate housings would take up some more space, sure, but it would help at least a little against someone plugging your entire daisy chain of coveted vintage stompboxes into the AC line... Another solution is to just use a different type of plug. Which can be problematic if it means modifying off-the-shelf effects which you might decide to sell at some point.

Thomeeque

Quote from: Ben N on July 22, 2011, 06:21:19 AM
Alt 1 is the same thing as two separate PSUs

..but in one box sharing mains and fuse - so is it one PSU or two PSUs? ;)

Quote from: Ben N on July 22, 2011, 06:21:19 AM
alt 2 requires a transformer with the correct secondaries. Not a huge big deal, just a requirement.

Exactly.

Quote from: egasimus on July 22, 2011, 08:01:58 AM
IMO the greatest danger about having 9VAC and 9VDC in the same unit is the human factor. Having them in separate housings would take up some more space, sure, but it would help at least a little against someone plugging your entire daisy chain of coveted vintage stompboxes into the AC line... Another solution is to just use a different type of plug. Which can be problematic if it means modifying off-the-shelf effects which you might decide to sell at some point.

As a builder of the PSU and supply cables (if you would DIY supply unit you would probably DIY supply cables as well) you have some options, e.g. by having different plugs for AC and for DC on the PSU, by bold color codding of the cables, etc.

T.

space_ryerson

Quote from: Thomeeque on July 22, 2011, 05:16:22 AM
My pedalboard is pretty simple these days. Everything is 9VDC, except my Digitech Whammy II. That's why I'm asking about 9VAC.

Digitech Whammy II PSU output specs are 9VAC 780mA. Easiest way is to simply add transformer with same specs inside the PSU box and just share MAINS (see alt. 1 above).

I've use two different PSU's as a result. It's not that big of a deal to plug in two PSU's; but it would be nice to have only one! I'll get working on this, and take a re-read of RG's power supply articles.

Good! As I said, don't hasitate to start new thread about it if you need any help.

Good luck, T.

Thanks for the example! If I need help, I'll start a thread.

TimWaldvogel

Quote from: the3secondrule on December 26, 2010, 11:01:07 PM
just set up my new board the other day:

the signal goes:
SHO > fuzzfactory > stripped down bigmuff Pi > hotcake > modded super overdrive > custom wah w/ input/output buffers > tuner > analog delay (DM2 clone w/ modulation)> modded mxr phase 90 > modded boss TR2 > amp

That's pretty sweet and simple !! What mods I'd you do to your sd-1? Why about your tr-2? I have both these pedals stock. I would mind getting imvolved in my pedals.
YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT LARGE PEDALBOARDS....

.... I BET YOU WISH YOUR PEDALBOARD WAS AS LARGE AS MINE

nexekho

I like to keep it simple... Guitar->Pocket POD->Behringer Pitch Shifter/Chorus->Crybaby Wah.

No board at the moment.

Also, I need to ditch these mono 2m cables for some shorter stereo patches.  Cry Baby is stereo right?  First two pedals are.

EDIT: Used a smaller image.
I made the transistor angry.

guitarman89

built: MXR Dist+,dod250-280,dr boogey,IC buffers,cmos drive,multiface,20W SS pwr amps,phase90,tubescreamer,rat,amzMB,wuly mammoth,dod280,zombie chorus
under constur:60W 3886 amp,jcm800 em
www.myspace.com/guitarmanbll
www.myspace.com/filospinatopunk

nexekho

Is it?  Damnit.  If I was ever going to gig I'd make a switching pedal, but just cutting it out of the chain altogether will suffice.
I made the transistor angry.

the3secondrule

Quote from: TimWaldvogel on July 26, 2011, 12:58:14 AM
Quote from: the3secondrule on December 26, 2010, 11:01:07 PM
just set up my new board the other day:

the signal goes:
SHO > fuzzfactory > stripped down bigmuff Pi > hotcake > modded super overdrive > custom wah w/ input/output buffers > tuner > analog delay (DM2 clone w/ modulation)> modded mxr phase 90 > modded boss TR2 > amp

That's pretty sweet and simple !! What mods I'd you do to your sd-1? Why about your tr-2? I have both these pedals stock. I would mind getting imvolved in my pedals.

Hey, just saw this ;)

the SD1 - i modded this so much, and so often that I can even remember what was done to it now - it ended up been used on bass
the TR has the internal trimmer for volume (i like my trem with a slight vol boost) and a rate indicator LED.

both pretty simple

Cheers,

J
"Rock music is mostly about moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car."

Thomeeque

Quote from: ugly_guitar_guy on July 15, 2011, 12:11:16 PM
This isn't my pedalboard, but I figured I should share anyway. This is Eric Johnson's pedal board from his show I saw last night in Santa Ana, CA. Incredible concert! Enjoy  ;D

http://www.guitarworld.com/close-gear-tour-eric-johnson-minneapolis

Proven :) T.

Pigyboy

Pedal Board from Gary Schmalzl of Jingo De Lunch with a Wee Beaver guarded by Triple H & The Undertaker!

While I am at it here is a shot of Tim Schippers board with a Little Angel tucked away in there.
And you'll have to admit, I'll be rich as shit
I'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in....
                                                            - FANG