Got an idea please don't laugh

Started by Austin73, January 06, 2008, 03:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austin73

Just wondered if this would work, I'm sure it would some how but I might have over simplified the problem!

Want to have 4 wah's running in parallel from a buffer splitter. Each one with simple bypass dpdt

Each wah would be different but not sure which ones yet

Switch would choose which way the pot worked ie toe down or toe up

And each wah would be connected to just one expression pedal ie 100k

then each of the four would be sent to a simple 4 channel mono mixer then out to bypass

I'm not very technical person as yet so not sure what the pot actually controls in the wah I'm hoping that it doesn't have audio going thru it so to speak so all the wahs can use the same pot.

Might even give the SRV Wah anti Wah sound or at least something more fun than the Dunlop Wah Rack

Hope this makes sense and would appreciate any input

Cheers

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

earthtonesaudio

It would be easy with an LED/LDR pair.  One pedal controls brightness for each wah's LED.  It would probably be easiest to use a wah that has a resistor to ground controlling the sweep.  Look into twin-T wah circuits for the wah effects themselves and LED/Light Dependent Resistors for the control portion.  Craig Anderton has a good design called the "volume pedal de-scratcher" which puts an LED/LDR in between the control pot and the circuit.  Good luck!

ambulancevoice

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH!!!!!!!!!!!
nah im just messin
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Valoosj

And what would the sound be? extreme wah or something?
Why not just put 2 wahs in series, and put a board or something on top of both, so you can controll them both at the same time with your foot.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

earthtonesaudio

I would imagine that 4 parallel wahs would not sound that fantastic if all the wahs were in the same range, but if you think about something like the EH Bassballs pedal, it uses two filters tuned to slightly different ranges.  So 4 slightly-different sounding wahs could potentially give a nice sound.  I say breadboard it and report back here with the results.  If it sounds good, post some sound clips!  In other words, go for it!

Mark Hammer

I'm not laughing, just very confused.

Maybe if you said a bit about what you wanted to achieve sonically, or in terms of performance flexibility, that might suggest a worakble solution.  I often find that articulating the goals of the solution help to clarify what the nature of the problem is.

drewl

I remember reading that Slash had some kind of set up with like 4 Wahs at different places onstage all tied together so he could have a wah wherever he happened to be...
I'm sure a simple search would lead to his live set-up.

Solidhex

Yo

The thing that Slash uses is that rack crybaby thing. Its just 4 controllers that can bypass/control the wah circuit from different places onstage. Its not 4 different wah circuits and they can't be used at the same time.

--Brad

Austin73

sorry chaps didn't make much sense , bit tired what with the kids etc.

The idea was that wahs have different tones dark etc vox, dunlop, kechi wnated to have about 4 that I could blend into maybe not something radically different but maybe just enough I though possibly having 2 go toe up whilst 2 go toe down so to speak and blend them as I feel. I'm just trying to have a bit of fun with the DIY Aspect.

I think I might add the idea into guitar rig and see how it comes out on that but problem is the wahs are so similar on that.

The main crux of the idea was that could I control all 4 wahs with one pot ie the all share the same connections to an expression pedal.

Maybe it still doesn't make sense but I did try.

Aus

P.S Would love to breadboard it but don't have one! lol
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

Mark Hammer

Okay, now it's starting to make sense.  My first image was four separate wahs, in circuit, and you running around trying to work all 4 at once.

I don't think you want to have a 4-way splitter.  I think what you want is one unit with 4 selectable circuits controlled by one foot treadle.  They may not necessarily all fit in the one chassis, but the notion of one wah "controller" and four selectable wah circuits is no more far-fetched than having a single chassis with 4 different Fuzz-face '"personality" circuits inside, a rotary selector knob, and a master bypass switch.

birt

if you have one LFO controlled and one with a rocker parallel at the same time you can get interesting sounds
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

Austin73

Hi Mark ,

Thanks for the input but the plan was to have them all running possibly and mix the outputs so I might get something interesting,

Its hard to put in words what I'm trying to describe but the plan was to have them all sounding different and maybe even selectable to be either toe up or toe down when the pedal is depressed if you see what I mean.

I'm just setting up guitar rig to try and do this using the LFO so will let you all know how it sounds which will probably be horrible lol

Cheers

Aus

Austin73

forget it chaps nowhere near as wacky as I was hoping but hey was worth a try,

Aus

earthtonesaudio

I still think you should try it out.  RG recommends 2 wah pedals in series to get a "vocal" sound: http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/wahpedl/voicewah.htm

-this is an application where your idea could shine.  Might not be wacky, but could be really musical.