Thomas Organ Wah inductors

Started by yeeshkul, January 06, 2008, 05:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

Huh, interesting stuff. A lot of people like the stack-o-dimes inductor. I wonder how the "film can" type compares to all of these?

yeeshkul

in the end i ordered 2x250mH and a hanfull of trannies  :) from them.

Dai H.

what's funny is I thought (assumed) the last mentioned GCB-95 inductor (which I removed from a GCB that sounded weak compared to another used GCB I bought later on) had low L after having bought and played with the RM9090A kit (and its tapped inductor) but apparently it wasn't the case.

Quote from: yeeshkul on January 21, 2008, 07:58:22 AM
in the end i ordered 2x250mH and a hanfull of trannies  :) from them.

it'd be cool if you could give us a report of what you thought of the 250mH inductors after you try them.  :icon_smile:

Paul Marossy

Yeah, I would also be interested to hear more on the 250mH inductors.

yeeshkul

I've just realised that i can put those 2 in series to get 500mH, I am such a dumb, slow **** i swear god i ordered 2 just to reach the 15 dollars minimum order ;D ;D ;D

yeeshkul

I received the inductors today, they look like red Fasels but have a big TDK logo on them. So i don't really know what i shall thing about that ... :-\
Their resistance is 98.5 ohm.

Dai H.

yeeshkul

Paul Marossy

Well, don't write them off just because they were made by TDK. Everyone says that the wahs with the TDK 5103 inductors all sound terrible, blah, blah, blah, but I have a wah with one of those in it and it sounds fantastic. You can't judge a book solely by just looking at the cover.  :icon_wink:

yeeshkul

Paul i am not writting them off at all. I'm  just surprised as i expected something with "Thomas Organ" on it instead haha. I am definitely gonna use them :)

Quote from: Paul Marossy on January 28, 2008, 09:55:14 AM
Everyone says that the wahs with the TDK 5103 inductors all sound terrible, blah, blah, blah
yeah i've just red this thread

Paul Marossy

Dai H.

As I understand it Geoffrey Teese used to think the TDK "cube" inductors sucked, but apparently he encountered a really good wah with one and amended his view. I'll have to keep that organ in mind for a parts source/cannibalization.

Austin73

just to jump in a little I have a thread about inductors too. I ripped an old Yamaha Electone apart and it had about 15 TDK inductors and lots of black non descript ones (about 60!)

So you don't just need to get a Thomas Organ .

Hope that helps and maybe you could help me with my inductor queries too.

Cheers

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

Dai H.

actually I'm referring to your organ and thread (see a couple of post above)

Paul Marossy

QuoteAs I understand it Geoffrey Teese used to think the TDK "cube" inductors sucked, but apparently he encountered a really good wah with one and amended his view.

I think he still feels that way, but he knows that some of them can sound really stellar. I remember bringing this up once when Teese chimed in on a conversation I was having here maybe a year ago. I guess I have one of the better ones...  :o

Geoffrey Teese

By and large, I've never been a real fan of the TDK 5103 cube.  However, as I've stated before, I have indeed heard a few old Thomas wahs with the 5103 that sounded absolutely stellar.  In the hundreds of old Thomas US and Thomas Italy wahs that I've repaired over the years, the majority of the TDK equipped wahs were "only" fair.  Of course, as we all know, just because there is a halo or s-o-d inductor in an old wah, that will not guarantee the wah will sound good.  There were a multiple of different winds used for the TDK and halo inductors, as well as different core materials.  Preference is really subjective.

Paul Marossy

Well, there you have it. Straight from the man himself. :icon_wink:

I think people get the impression that you think they are not very good from this article here: http://www.analogman.com/kraft.htm

Geoffrey Teese

Yeah, that 13 (I think) year old VG article has had a lot longer life (and maybe impact) than I ever expected.

Mark Hammer

I have a nice ferrite core inductor in mine that I bought from a surplus place in town.  It can be heard briefly at the start of the soundclip for the Forty-Niner here: http://hammer.ampage.org/files/FortyNiner-1.zip

Though I did not measure it myself, the part was labelled 900mh (with a tap), and I was told by someone who measured a few of them or me with an inductance meter that the tap came in at somewhere just under 800mh.  Makes the range a little throatier.  In any event, the point is that one needn't be that finicky about the actual inductance value.  Larger values can actually work out nicely; nicer than you'd think.

Paul Marossy

QuoteYeah, that 13 (I think) year old VG article has had a lot longer life (and maybe impact) than I ever expected.

It's like that with a lot of things!  :icon_lol:

QuoteIn any event, the point is that one needn't be that finicky about the actual inductance value.  Larger values can actually work out nicely; nicer than you'd think.

I have a couple of inductors marked as 1 Henry, I have always wondered how they might sound in a wah pedal. Hmm....  :icon_eek: