News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Small Problem With Midi.

Started by QSQCaito, January 07, 2008, 01:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QSQCaito

H guys. I finally got a firewire, midi, recording device for my laptop. I got the phonic firefly 302, I really like, it's been working great. Nice recording, nice output. has 24bit 96khz.
I'm just having a little problem when I connect a piano via midi. It's a good piano so that shouldn't be the problem (Yamaha YDP-131). What happens is that while I'm playing some notes keep ringing.. as if i neer released the key. It happenned with oh, cakewak studio intrsuments, and steinberg grand piano 2. I have relly no clue of what it could be, the sustain leg of the piano works great, its almost new piano. I just play and randomly some notes stay ringing :S

Any clue really appreciated.

Bye ybe

DAC
D.A.C

Chuck

You have a simular problem typing.  :)

It sounds like your note off commands aren't getting to the software.

From your remarks it sounds likes it intermittant.  Which probably means a loss in the connection, in the piano, or in the computer.

QSQCaito

The english/typing problem is because english is not my native language. Would a bad quality midi wire cause this? Because the laptop is brand new and good. So doe the firefly. :S I really don't get it.
D.A.C

danngreen

I've had this problem in a DIY MIDI project...It might be that your MIDI card uses a buffer to input all the MIDI commands and process them at it's own speed. If it's a slow card and/or doesn't have a big enough buffer, it may happen from time to time that the buffer is full when a NOTE-OFF command comes in, and thus it gets ignored. Depending on how your card and laptop share the processing load, running applications in the background might be slowing down the MIDI processing.

To test this theory, you could try hitting as many notes as possible at the same time and see if putting more data in makes it glitch.

On the other hand, if it's a loose/bad cable, try hitting one note at a time while you wiggle the cable/jacks