eNCLOSURE ECHTING

Started by bracaglia, January 12, 2008, 08:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bracaglia

I would likt to try echting one of my enclosures  but im not really sure how to do it. Does any one have any info they can share on this? Is it done with pnp blue like a pcb? Thanks .  I think i know how but im unsure on how to set up the art work . in the places u want the etch do u print it in black ?

in short if i want my lettering to be echted do i print it blck on the pnp blue or white ?

Timebutt

There are some very good topics on this subject to be found using the search button ;)
I believe that if you want your letters to be etched, you have to print the PNP entirely black except for the letters you want to be etched, anybody correct me if I'm wrong though but  that's what seems logic to me :)
Completed Projects: Gus Smalley Booster, Modded Russian Big Muff, Orange Squeezer, BYOC Vibrato, Phase 90

bracaglia

Yes ive been reding the topics the art work part is what i dont get. So then u need to make it look like a negitve flim and do u also flip the image as well?

rogerinIowa

yes you will need to flip or mirror the image before you print it to PNP.
friends dont let friends use stock pedals.

BubbaKahuna

Yup. You reverse both the image itself (flip horizontal), as well as the color (negative image or in Photoshop invert).

For instance ...

To make your etched stompbox look like this:

You print this on your PnP:

Cheers
My Momma always said, "Stultus est sicut stultus facit".
She was funny like that.

bracaglia

bracaglia

just did a little test is it normal for the stuff to bubble and make smoke?

Barcode80

which stuff? if you mean the etchant, it depends on what chemical you use to etch. if you mean the press n' peel, then no. we need more information.

Timebutt

I believe it's indeed 'normal' for the etchant to start to bubble and smoke, from what I know you really don't need a lot of FeCl in the solution for it to etch the aluminium compared to etching PCB's. Things I will found out soon enough once my FeCl gets here ;)
Completed Projects: Gus Smalley Booster, Modded Russian Big Muff, Orange Squeezer, BYOC Vibrato, Phase 90

bracaglia

Hey Yeah it was fine  but  i didnt get a very deep etch after 25 minutes maybe i didnt use enough or didnt leave it in  long enough . I suppose  i guess u have to paint the inside of the enclsoure as well if ur using a box with holes predrilled . lol!

BubbaKahuna

Quote from: bracaglia on January 13, 2008, 03:31:54 PM
Hey Yeah it was fine  but  i didnt get a very deep etch after 25 minutes maybe i didnt use enough or didnt leave it in  long enough . I suppose  i guess u have to paint the inside of the enclsoure as well if ur using a box with holes predrilled . lol!

Was the FeCl fresh? I used maybe 1/8" deep fresh FeCl to etch an enclosure in the top of a tupperware container (just the top, that's how shallow it was) and it etched it very deeply in about 3 minutes. I also did it outside in full sunlight on a hot day so it was a pretty warm solution which probably helped. Make sure your enclosure is squeaky clean and just wiped down with naptha or isopropol alcohol and don't get even one fingerprint on it. Any oil can mess it up, even from dry fingers.

And you bet it foams and makes noises. Not explosively or anything, but after etching tons of copper clad boards, I was surprised how fast and aggressive FeCl reacted with aluminum. I also wasn't prepared for the sound of it. Lots of crackling noises that make you think you're about to be in all kinds of trouble.  ;)

Next time I do this, I'll still use a lid with a very shallow puddle of etchant, but I'll put that in a deeper and larger tray of some kind for easier cleanup. I hadn't though about disposal before hand and it was kind of hard to lift the flimsy thin lid with gooey-foamy etch in it when I was all done.

This is what was etched in 1/8" deep fresh FeCl for about 3 minutes:

It's deep enough that even under several coats of clear you can still see the relief. I'd guess it's about 1/32" deep.

Using the same etchant I then did the front of the enclosure for only 2 minutes.
It's nowhere near as deep, since so little FeCl was used and it was now full of aluminum from the back I just did:

*** And yeah, you should paint the inside of a pre-drilled box unless you plan on etching that part too!  ;D
A result of painting inside is that you get a nice looking interior on the box like this (same pedal as above):

Cheers,
- JJ

My Momma always said, "Stultus est sicut stultus facit".
She was funny like that.

bracaglia

Thanks for the info  ill post when i get mine done . I think i know my test didnt work right , your right i heard that cracking and then saw smoke i was like  " oh no" lol it stopped after a while though lol!

darron

Quote from: BubbaKahuna on January 13, 2008, 05:12:52 PM

*** And yeah, you should paint the inside of a pre-drilled box unless you plan on etching that part too!  ;D
A result of painting inside is that you get a nice looking interior on the box like this (same pedal as above):

Cheers,
- JJ

if you do that, then don't forget to sand the areas back where you need contact, such as where the input/output jack sockets mount.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

Barcode80

i actually always ground my jacks straight to the ps ground, so no need for enclosure grounding. so far, never a noise issue.

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

darron

Quote from: Barcode80 on January 14, 2008, 12:13:50 PM
i actually always ground my jacks straight to the ps ground, so no need for enclosure grounding. so far, never a noise issue.

you don't make connection to the enclosure at any point? is the any sort of continuity to the enclosure if you test between ground with a multimeter? wouldn't that mean that you may as well be putting everything in plastic enclosures?

hmmmm. curious.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

Barcode80

not necessarily. and there is nothing wrong with plastic if you like it. layout and short leads make a HUGE difference, and none of my builds are noisy :)