Jen Wah/Vox V846 Layout

Started by tehfunk, February 13, 2008, 03:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tehfunk

Well, knowing that these are legendary wahs (they both use same circuits, though sometimes vox uses inductors other than fasels), I decided to try and make my own layout based off of a schematic in DIY Layout Creator. Since it is my first time attempting to turn a schematic into a layout I don't know whether the circuit is actually functional and I would like some input on what you think of my job, and whether it actually makes sense and will work. Note: I couldn't find the inductor object in the program so I just used the text function to say inductor. All help is greatly appreciated. So here is the layout I made, and the schematic I based it off of, which as I said is the same as a jen, and I made it true bypass with a DPDT.

Carvin CT6M > diystompboxes.com > JCM800 4010

The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality - John Frusciante

tehfunk

I also thought that this might be helpful as a visual aid. This is a Jen Wah.

The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality - John Frusciante

tehfunk

Anybody willing to look it over and check out whether it works? I worked hard to make it and it's my first time making a layout, so I don't want to give up and I also don't want it to have been a waste of time if it actually does work.

frankclarke

You have 3 resistors in series top right.

mistercoffee1

Shouldn't your R12 (33k) get back to R1 (100k)?

tehfunk

Quote from: mistercoffee1 on February 14, 2008, 01:16:44 AM
Shouldn't your R12 (33k) get back to R1 (100k)?
Thank you, I made the change I added a new solder pad, jumper, and trace. Other than that I separated the positive battery voltage into a different pad, thought it'd be better that way.

I had another question, the ground connection I made between the sleeve of J2 (Output Jack) to sleeve of J1 (Input), could that simply be wired to the ground on the circuit board which is created by the input's sleeve or does it have to be wired directly as it is now?

Quote from: frankclarke on February 14, 2008, 01:03:07 AM
You have 3 resistors in series top right.
Thank you for your input, but I looked up the terms series and parallel and I'm still a little confused, what are you saying is wrong with the circuit.

Other than what has been mentioned does it look functional? If so it should sound great because many of the parts used in the original are available today in NOS form or reissue, plus what's better is this is the official VOX schematic. Thanks for the help, again!

loki

R6 and C3 should go to the other end of R7, together with R4, as you can see on the schematic, R6 and C3 are not connected directly to the transistor base, on your layout they are...

Looks a lot messy anyway, try to start from scratch and avoid jumpers as much as you can  :icon_wink:

Sweetalk

Quote from: tehfunk on February 13, 2008, 04:12:56 AM

I never seen before a Green Fasel!! Nice Layout!

tehfunk

Quote from: loki on February 14, 2008, 09:26:24 AM
R6 and C3 should go to the other end of R7, together with R4, as you can see on the schematic, R6 and C3 are not connected directly to the transistor base, on your layout they are...

Looks a lot messy anyway, try to start from scratch and avoid jumpers as much as you can  :icon_wink:

Thanks for the help loki, I made the changes and yeah I agree jumpers bad and all but it was my first layout, so you know.

Quote from: Sweetalk on February 14, 2008, 10:23:18 AM
Quote from: tehfunk on February 13, 2008, 04:12:56 AM

Yeah, this is actually one of the later jen wahs but it has the same layout just more recent components, and it was one of the clearer pictures so I decided to use it. I think it was like early 1980s. Thanks.

I never seen before a Green Fasel!! Nice Layout!