Question about grounding

Started by kraal, August 24, 2020, 12:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kraal

Hello,

I'm building a little box to allow me to switch pedals order depending on the type of the amp my pedalboard is hooked to (depending on if it the amp has an fx loop or not) and have a question about how to ground it properly.
Here is an image showing what I'm planning to do.

And here is a description of how the pedals and amp are connected to the box:
- pedals in front of the amp are connected to "from pedalboard" on the box (1)
- amp input is connected to "To amp" on the box (2)
- amp fx loop send is connected to "from FX loop send" (3)
- pedals in the fx loop are connected to "to pedalboard fx" and "from pedalboard fx" (4)
- amp fx loop return is connected to "to FX loop return" (5)

Then I have a 4PDT switch:
If the amp has an fx loop, throw1 is used, the signal goes as follows (1)->(2)->(3)->(4)->(5).
If the amp has no fx loop, throw2 is used, the signal goes as follows (1)->(4)->(2).

On the above picture, the 6 sleeve/ground connection points are named A,B,C,D,E and F.
I'm not sure about what would be the best way to connect them.

I would connect the sleeves as follows:
- A connected to B
- C connected to D
- E connected to F

However, while it seems to be ok in the "the amp has an fx loop" switch position (throw1), if I switch to "no fx loop" (throw2), C and E would then be connected to nothing (as there is nothing connected there).
- Is it an issue (from a noise perspective) or can I leave it as is ? (sometimes input/output jacks are not connected to ground)
- Instead of what has been described above, should I rather connect A to B, C to E, D to B and E to B ?
- any other suggestion ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

GibsonGM

Umm, well...what I'd do is just find one sleeve that will always be grounded and connect all the others to it!  Highly doubtful there are large enough currents to create a ground loop.    I mean - if you're using typical jacks, the enclosure it grounded by them anyway, so the whole thing is one big chunk of 'loop', so to speak...no need to overthink it, IMHO.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

kraal

Quote from: GibsonGM on August 24, 2020, 02:46:48 PM
Umm, well...what I'd do is just find one sleeve that will always be grounded and connect all the others to it!  Highly doubtful there are large enough currents to create a ground loop.    I mean - if you're using typical jacks, the enclosure it grounded by them anyway, so the whole thing is one big chunk of 'loop', so to speak...no need to overthink it, IMHO.

Thank you for having confirmed what I was thinking before starting overthinking then doubting  :icon_lol: