Tonecore Development Kit Introduction

Started by vettaville, January 21, 2008, 03:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calpolyengineer

Quote from: Mark Hammer on September 02, 2008, 03:16:45 PM
I like slide 26!

As should everybody.

Is there any more word on this? On the website it used to say Shipping August 08, now it has a place to sign up for their newsletter.

-Joe

runmikeyrun

too bad, it looks too complicated for me to try to learn.  I just don't have the time.

I'm sure there will be another page on here soon, one where you can download other's modules.  I might be able to modify those!  Boy, the copyright people are going to have a hard time once people start emulating Tubescreamers, DS-1s, etc. 
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

SeanCostello

Anyone here get this yet? Mine has been on order for a few months now. The web page says shipping Sept. 8, but I saw a Line 6 forum posting saying that they are still working on this.

Sean Costello

calpolyengineer

Still haven't gotten it. I saw a post on the forum from a Line6 guy that says he expects it by mid-October. But I'm not sure if that means anything since they have delayed and delayed this thing so many times before.

-Joe

vettaville

Tonecore DSp development kit installer is now available for download from Line 6
http://www.vettaville.nl/news.php#819

SeanCostello

The order page currently says "Now Shipping!"

I will post when my dock arrives. In the meantime, I am going to be digesting the contents of the SDK. Thanks for the pointer Vettaville.

From what I have read so far in the documentation, the DSP is intended to be programmed in assembly, and the microcontroller in C. It is possible to have all of the code running on the DSP, and the example that ships with the SDK shows how to transform the knob values into useful parameters via code on the DSP. This is fine for simple algorithms, but for more complicated algorithms you will want to have the knobs converted into parameters on the microcontroller, and just send the computed values down to the DSP. This will save valuable DSP cycles, since the parameters do not need to be calculated on a per-sample basis - my guess is that the knobs are not clocked at anywhere near the audio sampling rate.

Sean Costello

calpolyengineer

SeanCostello

I just got a notice that the Tonecore kit shipped. It should arrive on the 15th.

This has been almost a 3 year wait for me, to have a working SDK. Now that it is finally coming, I realize that I'd better crack open those DSP56300 family manuals.

Sean Costello

calpolyengineer

Just got mine today. First impression is that it looks pretty nice. I popped a battery in it but nothing happened. I only have half an hour to mess with it cause I have class. Stupid school, don't you know I have better things to do. ;D

-Joe

The Tone God

I'm still interested in this. Can't wait to read some reports.

Andrew

calpolyengineer

Ok so I found out there is a two-level switch. I have never used a ToneCore pedal before and I wasn't pressing hard enough. It works, the included eq is alright, not really useful. I guess its intended more as a code example. One thing I did notice is that with the effect engaged, it gets really hissy, kinda like if AC mains hum was at 5000 Hz.

Oh, also, I looked through the code for the eq a bit and realized I don't know anything about programming. Time to read, that sucks.

-Joe

SeanCostello

I got my box on the 15th, so they are definitely shipping. Haven't had the time to work with it yet.

First impression: This is a development kit? The pedal comes in a cardboard box that is identical to other pedals, and the pedal looks just like the other pedals. Where is the raw green circuit board? The loosely connected audio connectors that can become dislodged? The JTAG pins that get bent and can get stuck in your finger?

In other words, this is WORLDS sturdier than your average development kit, so that is cool.

Next week, some code tinkering.

Sean Costello

deaconque

Can't wait to see how all of this unfolds.  I might have to learn some programming.

calpolyengineer

Hey Sean (or anyone else for that matter),
Have you made any headway on your's. I have no idea how to use mine, I'm probably gonna have to wait for Line 6 to release some more documentation. Its a pretty cool little pedal, but its worthless until I can figure out how to do stuff with it.

-Joe

tommy.genes

Quote from: calpolyengineer on October 30, 2008, 05:27:25 PM
I'm probably gonna have to wait for Line 6 to release some more documentation.

Based on the quote below from the Line 6 web site, I don't expect that Line 6 - specifically - would release any more documentation. They probably expect developers to read the already-published literature on the topic of DSP programming. Now if the equivalent of Aron's site crops up for this thing, that's a different story...

QuoteHow hard is it to actually write DSP code?
Again, that depends on your experience level and motivation. We recommend that you read up on the basic concepts of DSP, gain some familiarity with Freescale's Symphony DSP assembly language, and explore MusicDSP.org and the JOS Website for audio DSP code examples and more information. You might decide to take a class, or find a buddy who's done some programming. If after doing a little research you find it interesting, give it a shot!

-- T. G. --
"A man works hard all week to keep his pants off all weekend." - Captain Eugene Harold "Armor Abs" Krabs

calpolyengineer

Quote from: tommy.genes on October 30, 2008, 10:43:29 PM
Based on the quote below from the Line 6 web site, I don't expect that Line 6 - specifically - would release any more documentation. They probably expect developers to read the already-published literature on the topic of DSP programming. Now if the equivalent of Aron's site crops up for this thing, that's a different story...

On their support forums they say they are working on more documentation like examples in C, and examples of how to use all the different components. Who knows how long that will take though.

-Joe

rocket

hello,

are there any sources in Europe (for the kit itself, not software).

rocket

puretube

Mr.Huge

BEN:   Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

LUKE:   But I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters...

VADER:   I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Mr.Huge

BEN:   Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

LUKE:   But I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters...

VADER:   I find your lack of faith disturbing.