Tonebender Mk II question - input level question

Started by m-theory, January 23, 2008, 04:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-theory

If a guy wanted to add an input level control on a negative ground Mk II, how would that be done?   Also, is there perhaps any way to add a mid bump control to this circuit, by any chance? 

caress

input level is easy to tack on... just wire a pot like an output volume pot except slap it on the front of the circuit. 

like the easyface:  http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/easyface.gif

try different pot values until you find one that suits your needs.  or you could always use a trimpot and adjust to taste...

m-theory

Ah, well that makes sense!  Thanks!  No chance of tweaking the mids a bit? 

petemoore

Simple HP filter can be had in the de-coupling caps [cap series with the signal path like input/output caps].
  Simple LP filters can be cap from signal path to ground.
  TB already has some of this going on, you can tweek values of the capacitors for different frequency response.
  Remove HF, and Remove LF, what is left = mids...
cutting mids? By the time passive components do that it'd not be so much of a tonebender, and whether the output levels and impedance support that...
  Suggestion: use smaller input cap or/and staging caps [to set LF levels] perhaps a switch and choice of two values..., then put a cap and resistor to ground from the output for variable HF rolloff control.
  With the Tonebender in my case, setting the bass content seems to work well at fixed values, but the HF's get lost or out of hand depending on...how loud / other tonal parameters, for that having analog HF 'tone' adjustment is handy, and just gets rid of 'excess' HF's, which leaves enough output level.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

m-theory

Thanks!  Great information! 

I'm really not looking to drastically alter the tonebender tone.  I just want to shave a bit of the input signal and a bit of the bottom end, in order to get rid of the mushiness and make it a tad more pronounced or vocal.  I'm going to try a 250k pot on the input, as well as socketing those front end caps, so I can swap different values in there.

So, is C1 my high pass cap and C6 low?

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/tonebender_m2p_sc_pn.gif