Layout for diodes switch needed...

Started by Renegadrian, January 23, 2008, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegadrian

I read in some topics that a nice and easy mod would be adding a switch to go from Si to LEDs or Ge or...
I tried the search button, but found nothing clear...

Let's say we should add a simple DPDT switch to the popular dod 250, how would you wire a couple of Si and a couple of LEDS (so it's an easy 2 pos. mod, no rotaries involved...) to the switch and back to the PCB!? 
Any input appreciated...Sorry for noob question...
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

andrew_k

Renegadrian

Thx for the input Andrew...But how to wire it properly on this diagram?!  ???

It's the 250 (Bill Lawrence) but obviously it's the common diode layout, with the four holes and the two diodes side by side in their alternate direction. I numbered the diodes holes for ease...
So the diodes - LEDs are to be connected in parallel, I see...
THX for your help, I appreciate it...

MarcoMike

the central lugs of the switch go to holes 1(or2) and 3(or4)

or you can use a spdt switch: all diodes connected to 3(or4) and the switch selects which pair to connect to 1(or2)
1______
            |
       SWITCH
         /       \
       ||        ||
       AV      AV
       ||        ||
3-----------------

A and V are diodes (wasn't it clear?!?)
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

Renegadrian

Grazie Marco!!!  ;)
So it would be like this?! Am I right!? (Well, I'm left anyway...) <---sorry for being silly... ;D

Renegadrian

Another silly question...Do the LEDs light up when engaged?

sevenisthenumber

It depends on the circuit if they light up. Some do, some dont.

Dragonfly

Renegadrian

LOL butyou didn't draw the clipping diode switch...I just messed with your drawing...And here it is...
Feel entitled to put it in your album then!!!  :D

RickL

If all you want to do is switch between two pairs of diodes you can do it with a spst switch. Put the diodes with the highest threshold on the board, run a wire from the 1/2 node to one lug of the switch, another wire from the 3/4 node to one end of the other back-to-back pair of diodes and a third wire from the other end of the diodes to the second lug of the switch.

Put another way, wire two sets of diodes in parallel with a switch to break the connection on one end of the diodes with the lowest threshold.

Renegadrian

Dragonfly

Quote from: Renegadrian on January 24, 2008, 11:07:35 AM
LOL butyou didn't draw the clipping diode switch...I just messed with your drawing...And here it is...
Feel entitled to put it in your album then!!!  :D

must be a "language barrier" thing, because that drawing IS, and HAS BEEN the clipping switch !  Its the bottom side of a DPDT switch with the diode attachments pictured..... :)

Renegadrian

Sure, Dragonfly, a little misunderstanding on words...BTW your switch change diodes in symm/asymm, while I meant to switch between two pairs of different diodes (Si/LEDS) - the same switch doing two different things, isn't it!?

Anyway, now diodes switching (the way I intended when I started this thread and now the symm/asymm thing too) is a stranger in more!!!Ahah  :D
OK time to go BANZAI for the things I need...

Thank you for all your layouts, I studied them and learned some...

Dragonfly

Quote from: Renegadrian on January 24, 2008, 07:11:56 PM
Sure, Dragonfly, a little misunderstanding on words...BTW your switch change diodes in symm/asymm, while I meant to switch between two pairs of different diodes (Si/LEDS) - the same switch doing two different things, isn't it!?

Anyway, now diodes switching (the way I intended when I started this thread and now the symm/asymm thing too) is a stranger in more!!!Ahah  :D
OK time to go BANZAI for the things I need...

Thank you for all your layouts, I studied them and learned some...

ahh..i understand !  :)

andrew_k

Quote from: Dragonfly on January 24, 2008, 10:59:56 AM
That drawing looks familiar...

hmmm...where have I seen that before ?

:D

That's why I linked the image to its place in your gallery when I posted it  ;)

Renegadrian

Quote from: MarcoMike on January 24, 2008, 06:52:21 AM
... you can use a spdt switch: all diodes connected to 3(or4) and the switch selects which pair to connect to 1(or2)
1______
            |
       SWITCH
         /       \
       ||        ||
       AV      AV
       ||        ||
3-----------------

Marco, you mean something like this...

This is from Beavis site (DANO) - The lower part of his drawing should follow the same thing you say - one end of all 4 diodes goes to the pcb and the other end of the diodes are soldered by pairs on the outer lugs of the SPDT, while the middle lug goes to ground...Am I correct?!