Dr. Boogey works... for a little while...

Started by madboy, January 24, 2008, 06:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madboy

Hey folks. Just finished the Dr. Boogey, and after removing one little solder bridge, it works... for about 2 minutes... then farts out and fades away. The Q1 drain is set for half supply (about 4.75 volts ), but then mysteriously floats up to 8.95 volts ( the source is a 9.5 volt ). I've tried a couple of different J201s, with the same result. I'm still fairly new at this ( still a solder-by-numbers guy ), and thought maybe someone out there could shed some light on the situation. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks in advance for your help.

WLTerry

Check again all your solder points, sometimes they became cold solder, that happens to me when I built the EA Tremolo in the trimmer, because the need of tweak it maybe the solder went bad. So check the Trim1 first.

madboy

Hmm... I tried what you said... actually touched up all the joints. All the other fets are fine and stable, it's just Q1 that is drifting. Is it possible I got a bad trim pot? A bad cap? Anyone? ( 'cause for the few minutes it's working, it sounds great! I'd love to get this one boxed up!)

the recluse

I am having a similar issue, but haven't had too much time to investigate.  I will be taking a look at it in the next few weeks (I hope).

WLTerry

It's probably a bad trim pot. Replace the Q1 trimmer and then check if the drain voltage is in the right value.

miqbal

M. IqbaL
Jakarta

ambulancevoice

Quote from: miqbal on January 25, 2008, 02:24:32 PM
........or with a fixed resistor.

nope, a trimmer is needed to set the bias of the fet just right
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

miqbal

Quote from: ambulancevoice on January 26, 2008, 02:01:41 AM
Quote from: miqbal on January 25, 2008, 02:24:32 PM
........or with a fixed resistor.

nope, a trimmer is needed to set the bias of the fet just right
??? Trimmer is only a variable resistor. You can always replace it by one, two, or more resistor once you get the preferred value.
M. IqbaL
Jakarta