Behringer Hellbabe vs Dunlop Crybaby

Started by arma61, January 26, 2008, 06:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arma61

Hi, so the question is, is possible to let the Hellbabe sound just like a Crybaby? or the different circuits and technologies will prevent it? I bought it a few month ago as was cheap, but it seems I don't like it too much, it doesn't sound as I like; the first run of the pedal puts a lot of bass tones (or sucks treble tones) then is start to wha; also I cannot figure how to set the pots one the side.

I would like to avoid mod. to it, so have you any suggestion on how to set it to sound like a Crybaby (I like it vm)

thx for help guys

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

pupina

Ciao Armando, ti rispondo in italiano che facciamo prima.....l'Hellbabe l'ho avuto anche io e non era proprio una ciofeca però è immodificabile! avrai visto che ci sono solo smd, ovvero componenti miniaturizzati su un pcb a doppio strato (se non ricordo male).
Io ho provato a sostituire l'induttore ma ho rotto le piste finissime (come capelli) e non ha suonato più!!! l'ho riparato con la lente d'ingrandimento e poi l'ho venduto...se vuoi che suoni come un crybaby non modificarlo, vendilo e fatti un bel Dunlop originale usato che su ebay lo trovi a 40 dollari!!!

non so se ti sono stato utile, comunque ciao (avevo voglia di scrivere qui in italiano ad un mio connazionale)

Pupina

MarcoMike

Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I think he's just saying, it's pretty difficult to mod Behringer, because of surface mount & double sided boards.

MarcoMike

Well... actuallly I can understand perfectly what he's saying.... I was just surprised by the "way" he said it

pupina

Quote from: MarcoMike on January 27, 2008, 04:26:30 AM
Well... actuallly I can understand perfectly what he's saying.... I was just surprised by the "way" he said it

Hi Marco, tell me (in Italian or in English), what's the problem? why are you surprised about my answer?
Maybe I was a little "out of the topic" but i only tried to expose my knowledge about this specific pedal...nothing more, nothing less

Pupina

arma61

yes Paul you almost get it!

thx to pupina for the comment; being this an "international" place you could use, as I did with MarcoMike, PM option.

So I take there's no mods for it being smd, what about settings ? any suggestion ? will it ever sound like a CB.
pupina suggest to sell it and buy an used Dunlop CB but I just bought a new Fender Stratocaster American Standard last week, so my budget is well over the top!!!

Thx to all
Armando
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

MarcoMike

Quote from: pupina on January 27, 2008, 04:51:49 AM
Hi Marco, tell me (in Italian or in English), what's the problem? why are you surprised about my answer?
Maybe I was a little "out of the topic" but i only tried to expose my knowledge about this specific pedal...nothing more, nothing less

Pupina

Easy easy...

As Armando said, this is supposed to be an international meeting place, when few people write using their own language for sake of simplicity or better understanding there are few thousands more who are excluded from the conversation.
I lived abroad for quite a while and it seems this is a common bad habit among italian people... I just don't like it.

Back on topic: I guess you can use the shell of the hell baby to house a DIY wha pedal. GGG has some crybaby and vox projects... Or if you want something simpler (no inductors needed) here around I saw a WH10 layout that fits the usual dunlop enclosure... you chose.

EDIT: Pupina, are you a He or a She?   ciao!

rogeryu_ph

I read a forum here in the Philippines they mod Behringer Hellbabe in to similar sound with crybaby...
If my memory is correct it uses optical led isn't ? Then they say cutting/slit more opening that blocking the led to make it more Q.   I don't know, maybe some expert here might give more explanation on how optical wah specially some who had openned Hellbabe on how it works and how you may do the procedure. But the truth is it needs no soldering and rewiring just openning the case itself then slitting procedure. Many has done this here in the Philippines that's why no more available stock to buy on. Also it's cheap :icon_lol: Me I built my own wah using 2 output transformer as my inductor thanks for R.G.
Hope this help :icon_wink:

Roger

arma61

Thanks rogeryu_ph, that could be an idea, indeed as I say the first run of the pedal seems to suck treble, I'll try again to play with pots to which, unfortunately, I haven't clear access to being the pedal on the pedalboard, and I'm too lazy to dismount it again.
Armando

brett

Hi
if your wah effect is too "quick", then you might want to lower the "Q" of the circuit (called Q because it indicates the Quality, or narrowness of the filter).
My crybaby became too peaky after I inserted an output buffer, which raised the Q by only a small amount.

Basically, the stock resistor (usually about 30k to 50k) can be lowered by 20% to 30% to give a more mellow sound ("wook" instead of "wok").
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Renegadrian

Scrivo in italiano che facciamo prima.....no scherzo... :icon_biggrin:

Just got a hellbabe wah from a friend...it does not work, it doesn't light up...should I try to replace the fets?! prolly it got reversed voltage...maybe those fets got fried?! I read on the other forum someone get out of $h.t replacing one of them...Please help...
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!