EH LPB-1 nano mods

Started by bRock, January 26, 2008, 04:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bRock

Yo everyone! I'm new here; seems a good source for info.  Does anyone have suggestions/schematics for mods for the lpb-1 nano?  I would like to make the pedal more transparent (like the SHO, if possible), it seems to colour the sound too much/takes away some high end. I have been studying the circuit, but I'm an amateur at electronics...I've built an A/B switch box w/ an effects loop, that's about it.  Any advise, schematics, resources, etc... would be extremely helpful!  I can solder and I thought for sure there would be a schematic or advise somewhere on which components to change to acheive a more transparent sound.  It seems so simple..... :P
thanks a million

ambulancevoice

go to the layout gallery or just go on google images and search LPB schematic or just LPB (in the gallery)
the nano version is nothing different from any other, same circuit in a smaller box
mods??? well, you can put clipping diodes at the output and turn the thing into a distortion
a bias control might be nice, so you can tune in a sweet spot
there are ways to add a gain control or decrease/increase the gain
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Krinor

If you feel that there is too little treble in this circuit you should sub the input and output capacitors to some smaller values. They are 0.1uF stock. Try 0.047. This will turn it into a nice treble booster.

Dragonfly

Well...remember that a LPB will NEVER sound like a SHO.

One of the biggest differences is the input impedance.

In the LPB it's very low, which loads down your guitars pickups and results in the "high end loss" and perceived "fattening" if the tone. You can change the input and output caps to a smaller size, but the reality is that it wont give it more "high end"...it will only have "less low end".

A SHO circuit, OTOH, has a very high input impedance. It doesn't load down your guitar signal, and therefore has a brighter sound that seems more "true" to your guitars actual tone.

You could do some resistor swaps to raise the impedance of the LPB "a bit", but it won't change a lot. A BJT transistor, by design, won't have the input impedance that a mosfet (or even jfet) will have.

So....we get to my advice.....

Don't try and make an apple into an orange. Enjoy the LPB for what it does well, and worry less about what it "doesn't do". It's a great sounding circuit with many uses, and modifying it won't make it do what you want anyway.

Now that we have that settled... do a for the AMZ Mosfet Boost. You'll find TONS of info here on the forum, and lots more useful info (including VERY reasonably priced PCB's) at www.muzique.com . The AMZ Mosfet is a great sounding booster with a high input impedance, full rich sound, and in most peoples opinions, a better "design" than the SHO...plus its not hard to build, especially if you purchase a PCB !

Keep the LPB, and build the Mosfet Boost. Remember, "2 pedals are better than one" !  :)

Krinor

Quote from: Dragonfly on January 27, 2008, 12:43:05 PM
Keep the LPB, and build the Mosfet Boost. Remember, "2 pedals are better than one" !  :)

True indeed, and running one booster into another = fun  ;D