EH Wiggler High-End Issue

Started by Stratomaster, January 27, 2008, 07:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stratomaster

Howdy,
     I love this pedal to death, however, when mic'd I get a high-end issue that is normally not too big of a deal without mic-ing.  On the Looz setting, my signal sounds far too trebley, and on the Hamm setting, I loose too much treble.  Is there any way that I can modify the circuit to either tame the highs of the Looz setting or add highs to the Hamm setting?  I would hate to have to re-do the settings for all of my pedals and amp just to accommodate this one.  I know puretube sort of lurks this land, so if you've got any suggestions, I'm all ears!  Thanks in advance for your help! 

puretube

Processaurus

I go for changing a 10 cent cap rather than adding an extra $60 pedal :icon_wink:.  If info on the pedal isn't forthcoming it probably wouldn't be too difficult to reverse engineer that section of the pedal to see what is being switched by that switch.  It sounds like it both switches # of phase shift stages and also an eq thing.   If I remember right one position may also kill the dry signal and just leave a phase vibrato (its been a bit since I played w mine cuz it is having distortion issues...).   In the trem setting it sounds like solely eq change.

If you take it apart be careful of high voltage inside (there is an internal transformer to step up the 12v AC), I measured 80v on the power supply caps, even with the thing unplugged.  Naturally if you haven't worked on high voltage stuff please don't jump in til you get a solid background.

I like the different EQ settings on the wiggler, I've used mine with the depth all the way down as a preamp, just to color the sound.

StephenGiles

We don't have "problems" any more - we have "issues"!! I don't know how that came about!! :icon_biggrin:
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

puretube

Quote from: Processaurus on January 29, 2008, 07:18:22 AM
I go for changing a 10 cent cap rather than adding an extra $60 pedal :icon_wink:.  If info on the pedal isn't forthcoming it probably wouldn't be too difficult to reverse engineer that section of the pedal to see what is being switched by that switch.  It sounds like it both switches # of phase shift stages and also an eq thing.   If I remember right one position may also kill the dry signal and just leave a phase vibrato (its been a bit since I played w mine cuz it is having distortion issues...).   In the trem setting it sounds like solely eq change.

If you take it apart be careful of high voltage inside (there is an internal transformer to step up the 12v AC), I measured 80v on the power supply caps, even with the thing unplugged.  Naturally if you haven't worked on high voltage stuff please don't jump in til you get a solid background.

I like the different EQ settings on the wiggler, I've used mine with the depth all the way down as a preamp, just to color the sound.

Decrease the value of the smaller one (47k) of the two plate-resistors on V1A...

my costs on so called "DIY"-attitudes have exceeded that amount a thousandfold, this year already...

Stratomaster: you`ll get detailed info later on by PM, after I finished cooking, dinner, and dishwashing...

StephenGiles

Cooking dinner AND dishwashing?? I just do the dishwashing!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".