noise in general

Started by 1878, January 28, 2008, 10:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Don't bother waiting, use the 47K.
Those pots are only accurate to 10% at best anyway. You won't notice a difference, I bet.

nordine

Quote from: darron on February 05, 2008, 02:27:38 AM
i was wondering if this effect actually does make the jfet 'sample and hold' as it claims to make a true bit crusher effect, or does it sort of just sound similar? i just don't understand how/if that part of the schematic works that way. i understand the bufffers though and how the dual opamp at the bottom makes the waveform.

thanks (:

in fact it DOES sound like a bit crusher, not being actually a bit crusher anyways, instead an undersampling device

it ain't a "tremolo at fast speed", notice a pair of things:

1) dual opamp at the bottom is a pulse generator, more than typical a wave generator (sqware, triangle, etc), its a very narrow pulse

2)after the S&H jfet (the one horizontally placed) there's a capacitor to ground

put the pulse gen at mega fast speed, then add that cap for sampling purposes (voltage storing), and you have no tremolo, but a S&H ...build it, is a fun circuit... but jcmaillet's is sweeter sounding IMO

1878 true, the 3k separating the 47k pot to the 50k pot won't damage you, BUT, a pair of these 50k's in that circuit control frequency range, i'd put there a 1Meg pot, so your noise pitchs from low pulses to high whining

ambulancevoice

well, i would use 1M for the blend pot thingy, just you the 47k should be ok
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Thanks for all the replies.

I've said in previous posts that I'm an almost total novice at this type of stuff. For me, building something new isn't just about having a different sound to use at the end of it, it's also a learning curve. When you say, 'a pair of these 50k's in that circuit control frequency range' I have no idea what pair you're talking about :) Please don't think you're being too descriptive when replying to me. I'll learn quicker and leave you alone sooner :)

If you take this image:

http://img382.imageshack.us/my.php?image=generateur3jr.jpg

And number the pots

1             2

3             4

Which numbers should be 50k ?? Also, I understand a 1M pot will have a 'wider sweep' compared to a lower value pot, but where should that one go ??

Thanks again.

nordine

hey, thats a nice attitude

Possibly better values for Pots:

1(1M)       2(50k)

3(50k)      4(1M)

5(100k)

Pots 1 and 4 control Freq range of these oscillators (because thats two oscillators)
Pots 2 and 3 fine tune the Freq, so you can do some weird 'phasing' sound when waves almost match their freqs
Pot 5 is a blender for the freqs

have in consideration it has no volume control, just blend, but you want it for noise aint you?  :D

darron

Quote from: nordine on February 08, 2008, 01:01:41 AM
Quote from: darron on February 05, 2008, 02:27:38 AM
i was wondering if this effect actually does make the jfet 'sample and hold' as it claims to make a true bit crusher effect, or does it sort of just sound similar? i just don't understand how/if that part of the schematic works that way. i understand the bufffers though and how the dual opamp at the bottom makes the waveform.

thanks (:

in fact it DOES sound like a bit crusher, not being actually a bit crusher anyways, instead an undersampling device

it ain't a "tremolo at fast speed", notice a pair of things:

1) dual opamp at the bottom is a pulse generator, more than typical a wave generator (sqware, triangle, etc), its a very narrow pulse

2)after the S&H jfet (the one horizontally placed) there's a capacitor to ground

put the pulse gen at mega fast speed, then add that cap for sampling purposes (voltage storing), and you have no tremolo, but a S&H ...build it, is a fun circuit... but jcmaillet's is sweeter sounding IMO

ohh. i see. i was wondering how it did s&h. if you think jcmaillet's is nice then that would be the next one on the list instead. i basically want something that sounds like the garage band filter.

thanks for the explanation (: i may very well give this a go too.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

Hello again.

I'd like to add a status LED to this:

Where would be the best place ??

Thanks in advance.

darron

Quote from: 1878 on February 18, 2008, 06:31:54 AM
Hello again.

I'd like to add a status LED to this:

Where would be the best place ??

Thanks in advance.

just put in the led between positive and negative in series with a resistor between 1k and 56k. normal 3mm/5mm leds are not rated for a full 9v  and the resistor limits the current to stop it from burning out the diode.

Do you mean attach to the power supply + - leads ?? If so, would this limit power to the circuit ??

Thanks again.

darron

leave the power leads going to the circuit as in the schematic, but hook up the resistor and led to the battery as well. by in series, i mean only the resistor and led go in series with each other, and the status light (led and resistor) run in parallel with the rest of the circuit. hmm. i hope my explanation isn't too poor

I think I get it. Do you mean have 2 x 9v+ wires after the on/off switch ?? One for the circuit and one for the LED ??

darron

yes. pretty much:

quick drawing.

edit:

which the way that you said it would look like this:

which of course does the exact same thing

Lovely !!

Quite obvious when you think about it. Feel a bit silly now  :icon_redface:

Cheers again.