Show me your 1590A enclosures/pedals...

Started by andrew_k, January 29, 2008, 09:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebunny

Nice job.  And very neat.  Still trying to work out how you got everything in there...   ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: mg.audio on October 02, 2012, 05:28:11 AM
my first 1590A project, a slightly modified Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz:

The voltage rating on the 100µF cap is... sufficient.   ;)

mg.audio

Quote from: bluebunny on October 02, 2012, 12:25:29 PM
Nice job.  And very neat.  Still trying to work out how you got everything in there...   ;)

Well, lucky for me, the boost stage was completely unnecessary (got the schematic from general guitar gadgets), so I was able to leave it out entirely. If I would have needed it, I would have had to put it in the tiny space next to the footswitch. So that was a big help. Most of the assembly was done outside of the enclosure (I kick myself for not taking pictures of the process).

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on October 03, 2012, 07:59:14 AM
The voltage rating on the 100µF cap is... sufficient.   ;)

Heh, yeah I wasn't paying attention when I ordered those caps from mouser. It added to the challenge of getting it all in there though. I have one more that will go into the two-knob rat I'm building now, which is going into a 1590BB, so I won't have to worry about space this time.  :)

bluebunny

Posted this in the main pictures thread, but forgot to post here...  Jack's MOSFET booster:

• SUPPORTER

Pyr0

ok, this was my first attempt at a 1590A pedal, again just the AMZ Mosfet Boost. I'll have to try something a bit more adventurous for my next one.

haveyouseenhim

I was saving this for a backup entry just in case my pulse wah didnt want to work. But I got it working great, so here's my golden voice chorus. It's the Little Angel Ahorus but I did a lil creative renaming because of the color. ;D

• SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

thelonious

Finally attemped my first 1590A after being inspired (and educated) by this thread. It's a Little Angel chorus with PCB etched using frequencycentral's layout. The extra led by the switch is part of Merlin's mods.

John Lyons

Nice work Thelonius! Those look good.
How did you do the finish on the floral one that's cut off on the right?

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

thelonious

Quote from: John Lyons on October 22, 2012, 03:06:47 PM
Nice work Thelonius! Those look good.
How did you do the finish on the floral one that's cut off on the right?

Thanks John! I sprayed the box with adhesive, folded fabric around it, and then sprayed clear enamel over the fabric. The texture in the enamel is because I was impatient and used a hair dryer... which blew peaks into the enamel between coats... which accidentally ended up looking really cool. :icon_biggrin: When it's finished I'll post in the pictures thread, but right now it has a hole in it which is waiting to be filled with a little momentary switch for solo boost.

midwayfair

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on October 21, 2012, 02:27:20 PM

Wow, you didn't show me the guts. That is a tidy looking board with really tidily bent-over parts. :)

By the way, for anyone who wants to avoid bending over their caps....

Panasonic has two "low profile" series: The KA and KS series. The KA series is 7mm high (about the same as a chip in a socket). But the KS series is only 5mm high, and 4-6mm wide. The lead spacing is also "normal," and they're 7c each, so 1/3 the price of most other mini electrolytics. There's a newer KA series that's more expensive, so use the following part numbers:

25v, 5mm:

ECE-A1EKS100 -- 10uF
ECE-A1EKS4R7 -- 4.7uF
ECE-A1HKS2R2 -- 2.2uF
ECE-A1HKS010 -- 1uF

There's a 22uF and 47uF cap in this series, but it's only 16v. Fine for anything without a charge pump.
ECE-A1CKS220
ECE-A1CKS470

Best choice for the 22uF and 47uF caps (25v, 7mm):
ECE-A1EKA470
ECE-A1EKA220

And we're stuck with 16v for short 100uF caps:
ECE-A1CKA101 -- 100uF

Given that I recently had some trouble with 11mm caps in a 1590B (?!? there were pot covers), I think I'll be getting a bunch of these for the future.

And some more:
Quote from: saxoftenest on October 15, 2012, 01:28:54 PM
I've been leaning heavily on the Nichicon UMW and UHC lines for short electros. They have a 5mm tall (but 8mm wide, so it's actually labeled "tubby" in my parts bin) 25v 100uF: UMW1E101MDD

Sax is a master of the 1590A, so listen to him, too. :D
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

thelonious

Quote from: midwayfair on October 22, 2012, 04:00:21 PM
By the way, for anyone who wants to avoid bending over their caps....

Panasonic has two "low profile" series: The KA and KS series. The KA series is 7mm high (about the same as a chip in a socket). But the KS series is only 5mm high, and 4-6mm wide. The lead spacing is also "normal," and they're 7c each, so 1/3 the price of most other mini electrolytics. There's a newer KA series that's more expensive, so use the following part numbers:

I really like the KA series you mentioned. The ECE-A1EKA470 are the black ones on the left in the Little Angel build I posted (see pic below). They allowed me to avoid bending over caps, but I did have to lean them in slightly to get the cover on because of their 8mm diameter. You can see how they kind of hang over the edge of the board. :P

John Lyons

Ah, the old fabric trick...I see. Thanks
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

vandermann

My attempts with 1590A. The next ones will be a distortion and a tremolo! ;D

Cheers,
Nothing is impossible! Just will take longer to be accomplished!

bluebunny

Keep forgetting to post in this thread...   :icon_redface:

It's briggs' "E11even" from the other forum.
  • SUPPORTER

nomorebetts

A DAM MAD Meat Head  ;D

I like Big Muffs! and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny...

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bluebunny

Quote from: deadastronaut on November 08, 2012, 12:26:24 PM
EXTERRRrrrrMINAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaTE

:icon_cool:

That's the robot in your hallway, right?   ;D
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

BTW, the font is called "Dalek".  (Of course.)   :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER

midwayfair

This is not mine, but it needs to be seen:

Pickdropper got a Little Angel Chorus AND Shoot the Moon tremolo in a 1590A. Six knobs and a switch, human-built SMD.

Here's his build report: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6956.0

Makes me feel like a wimp. :P
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!