Show me your 1590A enclosures/pedals...

Started by andrew_k, January 29, 2008, 09:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rankot

I first drill holes, then paint sides, trying to paint it as even as I can. It's quite complicated, because I don't have anything better for painting but spray cans, and it seems that paint doesn't stick to aluminium so well, so I have to paint for a few times each layer. And I paint in a basement, so I must warm up the case before painting, or the painting will be even worse:(

After that, I print a sticker using colour laser. I print it on a dedicated white polyethylene self adhesive foil. Then cut holes on a foil. After foil is stuck to case, I paint over it using glossy coating spray.

But the paint is not really tough and can be easily scratched, so I must try to fin another finishing coat. Any suggestion is welcome!
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

roseblood11

Quote from: rankot on January 14, 2018, 08:16:35 AMand it seems that paint doesn't stick to aluminium so well, so I have to paint for a few times each layer.

Use a primer...

peterc

Remember for Aluminium Self-etching primer works best.

Peter

rankot

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

vigilante397

Quote from: peterc on January 14, 2018, 03:03:40 PM
Remember for Aluminium Self-etching primer works best.

HUGE +1 to that. Self-etching primer gives fabulous results on aluminum boxes.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

rankot

I've bought the only one type of aluminium primer I could found in my town, not sure if it is self-etching.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

temol

rankot - how about Tayda enclosures? Several colors, powred coated, cheap. At first I used to paint all my naked alu enclosures with spray cans. Now, the only spray I use, it's a clear coat to protect the decal  and I use Tayda painted enclosures, or use non painted aluminum enclosures that I buy locally (I think I buy them at similiar price as painted Tayda boxes). I rarely put a color due to the delicate coating (acrylic) and the cost of the paint.

T.

rankot

Interesting, but I live in Serbia  ;D

Ordering anything from USA means huge postage, customs and tax - ordering from China means just wait for a package little bit more.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

temol

I usually wait 14-18 days for the package (I live in Poland). You can give it a try but wait for the promo code (15% off). Postage cost is acceptable in my opinion. Take the Registered Mail, it costs around $4-$5 for small order.

T.

thermionix

Tayda is based in Thailand.  They have a shipping operation in the US but only for US (maybe some Canadian) orders.  An order to Serbia would not come from the US, I think direct from Thailand.

rankot

OK, I'll see that. However, since I must put additional transparent layer over the box after I stick the decal, it may be the problem if it is already painted with incompatible color?
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

thermionix

I don't know, I haven't tried painting or clear coating over any powder-coated boxes yet.  It seems Temol does it, maybe he can tell us what kind of finish he uses.

temol

I spray paint only waterslide decal, off the enclosure. I do not spray any clear coats after applying the decals. It's easier to replace the decal (if it gets damaged) than invisibly repair clear coat on the enclosure. If I was going to use durable protective layer, I'd look for some kind of resin (Envirotex?) or maybe automotive paint.

T.

oatmonster

Crammed a Paul Cochrane Timmy into a 1590a. Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out, but I probably wouldn't want to do it again.

I really regret socketing the 4558 cause it sticks out like a sore thumb.

bluebunny

Not bad at all for a first post - welcome!  Very neat little build.

Quote from: oatmonster on January 27, 2018, 10:32:39 PM
but I probably wouldn't want to do it again.

We all say that, but it's like childbirth: you kinda forget how incredibly painful it was, then go and do it all again!  ;D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

EBK

Quote from: bluebunny on January 28, 2018, 06:59:40 AM

We all say that, but it's like childbirth: you kinda forget how incredibly painful it was, then go and do it all again!  ;D
It's not that we forget. We remember that the first steps of the next "build" are rather fun.   :icon_razz:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

287m

first post and first 1590A? amazing
no, when you enter 1590A world, you can't leave completely.

vero or perf? Nice build

oatmonster

Quote from: EBK on January 28, 2018, 07:21:47 AM
Quote from: bluebunny on January 28, 2018, 06:59:40 AM

It's not that we forget. We remember that the first steps of the next "build" are rather fun.   :icon_razz:

Haha, the only enclosures I have laying around are 1590As so I guess I'll have to do a few more. Probably something simpler though so I can spend some time learning how to screen print my graphics.

Quote from: 287m on January 28, 2018, 09:10:18 AM
first post and first 1590A? amazing
no, when you enter 1590A world, you can't leave completely.

vero or perf? Nice build

Thanks, I used vero for this. This actually wasn't my first 1590A build. Earlier I built this: an EQD speaker cranker clone to get my feet wet. Much simpler, though at the time I still wanted to pull my hair out.

Lars F

Rangemaster with switchable input capacitors ala Mini Beano from AM.

Regards,

Lars

thermionix

You may have set a new world record for jack proximity.  If nothing shorts out with both plugs inserted, you must have a fraction of a mm clearance.